Valve games and mice

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
I am trying to setup my mouse to use MOUSE3 for activate. It worked in HL2:Ep1 but for whatever reason all Valve games completely ignore anything above MOUSE2.

I have a Logitech MX310 and am using their drivers. I read a bit about the problem and I added the Steam.exe file to the registry as described on the Logitech site but I still can't get it to work.

Is anyone using the MouseWare drivers and been able to use MOUSE3/4 with a Valve game?

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Do you use the console?

That's how I do it..

bind mouse# <command>

works for me in every game on steam

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
I have tried it that way, in the game's options area and also by editing the config file. None of it works.

Are you using a Logitech mouse and MouseWare drivers?

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
No I am just using a Logitech mouse, so I guess the problem lies with the MouseWare drivers...

Good luck :p

Edit:

I stopped using their drivers when I got my first Logitech mouse, and back then their mouse wheel wasn't supported in most games with their worthless MouseWare driver, so I went back to the standard driver.

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Well I removed the Logitech driver and sure enough I was able to bind MOUSE4 in Ep2 but I don't like the speed settings available with the generic driver. I have maxed it out and it still isn't fast enough for me in XP.

So I reinstalled the Logitech drivers and retried other Valve games again and to my surprise I am able to map all my mouse buttons in HL2/HL2Ep1 and even Lost Coast but Ep2 I can't.

Very strange, but it appears to be a Valve issue as far as I can tell.

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Shit... I just figured it out.

Logitech lets you specify certain apps/games that it will pass off mouse control to the application.

More information

I did this for HL2 back when it first came out by specifying hl2.exe in the registry as described in that link.

hl2.exe was still specified in my registry and I confirmed that there was an hl2.exe process running when HL2:Ep2 was being played.

However, I just noticed there is *another* process running in addition to hl2.exe called GameOverlayUI.exe that doesn't run with HL2 or HL2:Ep1.

I added that executable to the registry and wallah, back in business.

You would think Logitech would make it easier to figure these things out but oh well. Hope this helps someone.

EDIT: Looks like that process is an overlay for the Steam Friends functionality. Doesn't look like there is a way to turn it off.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Maybe I'll have to try Logitech's drivers again, surely they've come a long way since 2003.

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
I just uninstalled mouseware for the same reason. Anytime I wanted to use an extra mouse button I'd have to alt-tab open & close mouse props and then go back to the game.

astrosfan315

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2002
I have a mx518 with the logitech drivers and have no problems whatsoever binding any of the buttons in the game to anything. I wonder if the mx518 setpoint.exe utility would work with the 310?

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
Originally posted by: astrosfan315
I have a mx518 with the logitech drivers and have no problems whatsoever binding any of the buttons in the game to anything. I wonder if the mx518 setpoint.exe utility would work with the 310?

I'm pretty sure that anything that came before the 518 is stuck with mouseware.

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
My previous post explained how to fix the issue with the MouseWare drivers. All is good.

Dec 27, 2001
I have the same problem with my Logitech G3. I didn't install any drivers for it though....just used the XP default drivers. Binding mouse buttons above 2 works in CS:S but not TFC.

The Sly Syl

Jun 3, 2005
I use an old Microsoft intellimouse 1.1

I've used Mouse4 and Mouse5 in every single source game i've ever attempted. I even use them on all games based on the HL1 engine. They bind perfectly fine in the options menu.

(I use Mouse4 for reload, and mouse5 for "use")

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
I have the same problem with my Logitech G3. I didn't install any drivers for it though....just used the XP default drivers. Binding mouse buttons above 2 works in CS:S but not TFC.

Are you sure you aren't using the Logitech drivers? That sounds suspiciously like my problem.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: binister
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor

Are you sure you aren't using the Logitech drivers? That sounds suspiciously like my problem.

Yeah, I can't apply your fix as there is no logitech folder in my registry.