Valve confirms AMD GPUs will be in pre-built Steam Machines in 2014

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Steam Machines are still going to fail miserably. There's no market for it.

IMHO, they should have done two boxes. Or just one. And lock the heck out of it, like a console.

They could have gone with an "APU", an Intel GT3 or a Kaveri. And focus on massive optimizations for it. No dGPU's. Less complex. Price of $300-$500 for the box.

But this? Madness!

I think they'll do okay. When they were first sort of announced/expected I thought it would be a static box using the Steam platform as a direct competitor to consoles, with the possibility of some modularity for upgrades.

I didn't expect this approach which is kind of confused as it seems geared towards existing PC gamers. I think it may appeal to some though, but the SteamOS is going to put off neophyte users who want Windows functionality so they can use Office etc.

Also price wise to compete with consoles it has to cost no more than $500, which the current beta boxes cannot price themselves into.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
I think having more than one box plays into the strengths of PC gaming, a box for everyone and for every budget.

I will probably install it once it is leaked, I like new things.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
I think having more than one box plays into the strengths of PC gaming, a box for everyone and for every budget.

I will probably install it once it is leaked, I like new things.

But we already have a variety of price point gaming PCs.
Sure, most of them are pretty weak, but the concept of varying tiers of gaming PCs isn't new.

And Alienware even already sell "gaming" PCs with Linux (Geforce 645, so not really gaming, but that's what they call it).
http://www.alienware.com/ubuntu/

MightyMalus

Jan 3, 2013
I think they'll do okay.

I just don't see it. In any way possible.

I find it worse than Android micro-consoles. At least those are truly open. But here, I have to go thru Steam. I just don't see the benefit. Its the same.

Its like, "If you hate Microsoft and Apple and Ubuntu, give us a try."

What's the benefits? Maybe I am blind but, I really don't see it. I'm not even hating here. Who would use this, really, who does not hate all else? And then, if they hate all else, why even get one?

Its an interesting move, but whats the use? Its still one company, one locked store and for what, 5 more FPS?

You know what, if they had gone ALL the way, I would have thought of it more. Like, use a different CPU Architecture, POWER or Itanium, something so crazy and unique that I would just be Impressed with and probably buy.

But, this is an OS. Hardware anyone can get. Nothing special or unique. Other than the controller, which I can probably use on my Windows machine. Or just get the X1 or PS4 controller that will also work on my current machine.

But, that's also its mayor weakness. If its an OS for gaming, some Boxes won't be able to play some games well, or at all.

Their market is PC Gamers, Steam Gamers, how do you even market this to your own market? This isn't for newbies, and for the people that know hardware, why pick it?

Actually, to make my concern better, how do you market this to anyone?

I'd like to see examples. I really can't come up with anything. Mainly, because its more "boxes".

seitur

Jul 12, 2013
what about their FOSS driver effort? they have been supporting linux for a long while also amd hd6k-7k drivers are stable
here is a reddit post i amde about in Linux_gaming
http://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/1nr6d7/amd_driver_issues_fact_or_fiction/
the drivers arent the issue here...
How long it took AMD Drivers to be useable on 7k?
I will tell you. Long months and it is still nowhere near what Intel or Nvidia is providing for their GPUs on Linux.

Do you have Intel or Nvidia box to compare?

Perfrormance, features support and 'just works' is leagues ahead on both In and NV on Linux compared to AMD.
AMD drivers on Linux are more buggy, offer less performance, bring more fuss and problems.
Only AMD series that are (barely) ok supported on Linux are dedicated HD 6xxx ones.

HD 7xxx are slowly getting there, but are not there yet AND it is 1,5 YEAR AFTER their release. Sorry, but that's nowhere near good enough.

AMD Drivers on Linux are issue.
Even your link support this.
Most good reports there are from 6K users.

NVIDIA and Intel were heavily investing into Linux drivers for quite some time and it simply shows. AMD obviously is able to try to catch up to their standards, but it will need money, time and dedication.

For now AMD Linux drivers are still an issue.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Steam Machines are still going to fail miserably. There's no market for it.

Just like there was no market for Steam when it first came out, and like there was no market for in iPad when it first came out.

Your comments are going to look ridiculously short-sighted in about 2-3 years.

MightyMalus

Jan 3, 2013
Just like there was no market for Steam when it first came out, and like there was no market for in iPad when it first came out. Your comments are going to look ridiculously short-sighted in about 2-3 years.

Not at all. Valve made a market with Steam. Apple made a market with iOS.

"Steam Machines" have no room. They aren't new. Or disruptive. Its a PC.

Come on, market it to me. To anyone, really. Can you? If it was a "Steam Box", hey, it could work a bit. But this? Really? How? And why not just get a PC?

NVIDIA and Intel were heavily investing into Linux drivers for quite some time and it simply shows. AMD obviously is able to try to catch up to their standards, but it will need money, time and dedication.

Supporting Linux is like supporting Internet Explorer 6.
Actually, Internet Explorer 6 has three times the market share.
So, make that...
Supporting Linux is a waste of time.

And SteamOS will not surpass Linux.

pong lenis

Apr 23, 2013
Just like there was no market for Steam when it first came out, and like there was no market for in iPad when it first came out.

Your comments are going to look ridiculously short-sighted in about 2-3 years.

Something having a market means filling the void, fulfilling some particular needs that could not be fulfilled before. But nobody needs a Steam Box, not PC gamers, not console gamers.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
I literally cannot see the point of the steam box so I don't know this matters.

Valve have flip flopped with hardware in the past to whatever works best, their HL2 release was heavily focused on AMD because back then the 5000 (FX) range cards were hurting performance wise in DX9, but shortly after release they went back to being Nvidia focused wth the incredibly popular 6600/6800 cards, from memory anyway.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Honestly the only interesting thing about the recent Valve announcements is the controller. That might be decent and I plan to get one once they are available.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
How about an 50' HDMI cable and a wireless Xbox 360 controller. That would be a sweet Steam Box!

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
Well I hope it is successful and sells well for them. It's just hard to image who the people buying them will be.

Perhaps Valve will run specials on their game libraries. Maybe if you own a Steam Box all games are 10% off or something. Also, if I were them I wouldn't release their game streaming functionality UNLESS you owned a Steam Box. So only a Steam Box could stream to another computer OR a computer could stream only to a Steam Box. That would at least generate some interest in owning one. Why give the streaming away??

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
How about an 50' HDMI cable and a wireless Xbox 360 controller. That would be a sweet Steam Box!

Haha. I literally have such a setup currently ;)

Same.

I have a short 15m HDMI cable running to my living room projector and a PS3 controller that works via a USB bluetooth dongle. It's a really easy config to get working, for everything else I just use my wireless mouse...

atticus14

Apr 11, 2010
Valve isn't going to pump out millions of systems thinking they have to sell them all like a console. Just build as needed and gradually increase your market share. Valve's main goal is to make playing on steam as easy as a console but with the increased fun that a PC can bring. Better graphics, simple to install mods (Steam workshop), precise controls, etc.

It'll sell itself eventually if they can get the software right. Native 4k gaming should be pretty interesting in about 3-4 years, something that consoles just wont do and affordable to the middle class by then.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Valve isn't going to pump out millions of systems thinking they have to sell them all like a console. Just build as needed and gradually increase your market share. Valve's main goal is to make playing on steam as easy as a console but with the increased fun that a PC can bring. Better graphics, simple to install mods (Steam workshop), precise controls, etc.

It'll sell itself eventually if they can get the software right. Native 4k gaming should be pretty interesting in about 3-4 years, something that consoles just wont do and affordable to the middle class by then.

Valve isn't going to pump out any systems.
They are getting third parties to make systems, just like third parties already do.
Alienware already have Ubuntu boxes and Windows boxes.

All this will do is mean that you get rid of the Ubuntu boxes, and instead will see Steam boxes.
And yes, I honestly think that will happen, because they are selling to gamers, and gamers wouldn't want Ubuntu with Steam when they can have SteamOS with Steam, so instead of a "regular" Linux you just get a Valve branded Linux, but the systems will be pretty much whatever we have now.

atticus14

Apr 11, 2010
Valve isn't going to pump out any systems.

Gabe said they are building their own and will sell it on steam store. I'm almost positive that they said it would be the only "steam box" while vendors will presumably use the moniker of "steam machines". This all came out when the Piston guys tried to keep the impression that they were the steam box and Gabe had to shut that notion down.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/3852144/gabe-newell-interview-steam-box-future-of-gaming

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Something having a market means filling the void, fulfilling some particular needs that could not be fulfilled before. But nobody needs a Steam Box, not PC gamers, not console gamers.

This right here ^^

Seriously, PC gamers already game on real PCs. Console gamers already game on consoles. Neither will be willing to give up either the convenience of a console or the options of a real PC (and the mouse + KB control for titles that benefit from mouse movement).

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
After thinking this through a bit, I think maybe Valve doesn't want the steam box to be in every living room? I don't think they want to compete with consoles, despite what some have mentioned. It's just another gaming device to consider for purchase -

I just see it as an alternative to the PC, or maybe it will bring interest from those who don't necessarily know much about PC gaming to the fold. I absolutely don't think that the steam box will compete meaningfully with next-gen consoles, but that is okay. I just see it as another alternative. I don't believe Valve stated they wanted to take over every living room with their steam box.

MightyMalus

Jan 3, 2013
Gabe said they are building their own and will sell it on steam store. I'm almost positive that they said it would be the only "steam box" while vendors will presumably use the moniker of "steam machines". This all came out when the Piston guys tried to keep the impression that they were the steam box and Gabe had to shut that notion down.

But then, they didn't mention the "Steam Box" at all. Let's stay current. And if they release their own with others around... Why would anyone else get one not from Steam!?

Pointless. Its an alternative where there are many alternatives to choose from.

atticus14

Apr 11, 2010
But then, they didn't mention the "Steam Box" at all. Let's stay current. And if they release their own with others around... Why would anyone else get one not from Steam!?

Pointless. Its an alternative where there are many alternatives to choose from.

#1 what do you mean they didn't mention the steam box? It's right there in the link from Gabe himself

#2 More then likely they can sell them cheaper, and for many people Dell, HP, or whoever else sells them will be a more recognizable name then valve or steam. Remember they are trying to sell to non PC gamers.

MightyMalus

Jan 3, 2013
#1 what do you mean they didn't mention the steam box? It's right there in the link from Gabe himself

My comment refers to the fact that none of that was announced when Valve released the "Steam Machines" information. Your link is from January, not a few weeks back.
This is from the page -->
"Entertainment is not a one-size-fits-all world. We want you to be able to choose the hardware that makes sense for you, so we are working with multiple partners to bring a variety of Steam gaming machines to market during 2014, all of them running SteamOS." <-- They made a Prototype, yes, but, maybe its just testing cases and hardware to see which should the partners go for?

#2 More then likely they can sell them cheaper, and for many people Dell, HP, or whoever else sells them will be a more recognizable name then valve or steam. Remember they are trying to sell to non PC gamers.

So, you are saying that they are selling completely open PC hardware, for PC gaming, with an OS for Gaming on the PC, to non PC Gamers?

This is like offering soda to a diabetic.

MeldarthX

Golden Member
May 8, 2010
I'm two minds about this; if they do this right; then - you'll find them on the HD of gamers.....who will duel boot. If they don't its not going to go very far.

Valve isn't about saving gamers - its about protecting his walled garden and making sure MS doesn't carve it up. That's what this is about; Gabe wants to make sure he keeps you in his garden instead of going over to say - MS, UBsoft, EA......will it work?

Possibly; but as others have asked; if steam box is more expensive than a console; why would people bother to get one for the living room.....*this is where Gabe wants it as he does want it every living room* Now if Kaviri is as awesome as it possibly could be - then I very well could see this under my tv with duel boot. but then again I have ps3, will have ps4 - I might get x1.....I have my pc that goes to my tv with HDMI 1.4a cable.....so steam box? well would allow me to finish getting Eyefinity set up on my system....

Problem is with steam box; I don't need it.....nor really do I have a reason to want it. That's Gabe's problem we don't need it......but for it to work better damn well give us a reason to want it....until then; its goes to sell about as well as Neo Geo system or Sega Saturn did...

Blitzvogel

Platinum Member
Oct 17, 2010
At the right price, SteamBox could be the vector that might actually bring console masses to PC gaming, and I'm fine with that. Valve already said that SteamOS was open and moddable, and that probably goes for any box that Valve might brand as their official or flagship game box. Considering the success of Garry's Mod, and symbiotic relationship of modding and machinima with Source games, we shouldn't worry about Valve being close minded at all because it's obvious that it only helps to make Valve, Steam and PC gaming thrive in ways that consoles cannot because an open framework allows for such creativity to shine.

If anything about Steambox's hardware is closed, it would purely be out of production's sake to reduce costs of the machine, like using a highly simplified motherboard without expansion ports or perhaps using soldered-on motherboard RAM and flash memory. It would be closed in the Apple fashion.