MSI "K8N Neo4-F" Motherboard
Thermaltake SILENT BOOST Heatsink & Fan
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 939 OEM
Kingston Valueram dual channel 1gb (512 x 2) 3CL
Connect 3D ATI X800 XL
Seagate 80gb SATA 150 ST380817AS OEM
16x acer dvd rom drive

My main question is the case here:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=11-147-010&depa=0 has a 350 wt PSU. Now will the 350wt PSU handle this rig or should I get a higher watt?

Also I was reading the 24 pin PSU thread but it didn't go into much detail about video cards without power connectors like the X800 XL. Do I need one being that the power to that card comes solely from the mobo?

CheesePoofs

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2004
Probably not, or at least not well. A quality 350w PS could, but ones that come bundled with cases noramlly are just cheap power supplies.

Get another one from a well known manufacturer to replace it and you will be fine.

glorifiedg790

Banned
Mar 29, 2005
I think powerful video cards like that one benefit from larger psu's. I would go with a 400w just to be safe

Here's a cool one

Its the same brand as that one and only 11 dollars more. I would go with 400w just to be safe. You never know with those beastly video card, but I am no expert, just my opinion

happy gaming

KoolDrew

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Originally posted by: glorifiedg790
I think powerful video cards like that one benefit from larger psu's. I would go with a 400w just to be safe

Here's a cool one

Its the same brand as that one and only 11 dollars more. I would go with 400w just to be safe. You never know with those beastly video card, but I am no expert, just my opinion

happy gaming

Again, quality over quanity. The only case/PSU combos I find myself recommending is the ones from Antec.

imported_Chubbs

Mar 31, 2005
Hmm.. Well I want to keep the case(Like the plain design for some reason).. Any suggestions on a decent priced power supply preferably with a 24 pin connector?

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
I really like the Antec combo deals too.

If you're thinking about getting a power supply that's separate, look around and you'll find plenty of opinions.

Welcome to Anandtech too.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Chubbs
Hmm.. Well I want to keep the case(Like the plain design for some reason).. Any suggestions on a decent priced power supply preferably with a 24 pin connector?

What about this one?

glorifiedg790

Banned
Mar 29, 2005
Originally posted by: KoolDrew

Here's a cool one

happy gaming

Again, quality over quanity. The only case/PSU combos I find myself recommending is the ones from Antec.

My point was to be safe. It is the same company so I dont think your point makes a difference. My point was a 400w Rosewill would be safer to buy than a 350 watt Rosewill

imported_Chubbs

Mar 31, 2005
Originally posted by: YOyoYOhowsDAjello

What about this one?

Thanks for the welcome and thats a link to another case not a PSU by itself.

glorifiedg790

Banned
Mar 29, 2005

What about this one?

the poster clearly wants a case and a psu togeether

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001

What about this one?

Well I know that :)

I thought it looked enough like the one you linked to that you might like it. It would have better airflow, be quieter, and you wouldn't be wasting money buying a crappy powersupply with the case you linked to.

Seasonic, Antec, XClio, OCZ, Sparkle, Fortron, and Enermax are all good companies for powersupplies.
I'm sure I left some out too.

imported_Chubbs

Mar 31, 2005
Well the thing is I allready bought the case. Thus why I'm looking for PSU opinions. I was looking on newegg for psu's with 24 pins but it doesn't seem to list it on many unless I'm looking straight at it.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001

What about this one?

Are you being sarcastic?

And as for the budget comment, if he wants that original case for $31 and buys another powersupply for $20 or $30 that's just about what the antec would cost and he'd be getting a better case (although looks are obviously a personal preference).

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001
Well the thing is I allready bought the case. Thus why I'm looking for PSU opinions. I was looking on newegg for psu's with 24 pins but it doesn't seem to list it on many unless I'm looking straight at it.

Are you planning on overclocking at all, or just running at spec?

emilyek

Mar 1, 2005
I'd give the rosewill a go before i bought something else.

It's not top quality, for sure, but it might be sufficient.

glorifiedg790

Banned
Mar 29, 2005

What about this one?

Are you being sarcastic?

And as for the budget comment, if he wants that original case for $31 and buys another powersupply for $20 or $30 that's just about what the antec would cost and he'd be getting a better case (although looks are obviously a personal preference).

No. Wrong. The antec shown was 60 dollars. Do you honestly think I was being sarcastic? didnt think so. What is your problem. You have such a narrowmind open it up. see it from my point of view

imported_Chubbs

Mar 31, 2005
Sadly this is the second time I have bought a case on impulse and something ended up being wrong with it. :
Allthough this time I was working with a budget of $750 so I couldn't avoid a cheap case really. As for overclocking I planned to just use the dynamic overclocking on the MSI mobo for a small boost.

KoolDrew

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
No. Wrong. The antec shown was 60 dollars.

You just proved YOyoYOhowsDAjello's point. He said the $31 case + a PSU around $30 would equal the amount of the Antec. I also agree with him, but since he has already bought the case then why are we talking about getting a case?

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001

No. Wrong. The antec shown was 60 dollars. Do you honestly think I was being sarcastic? didnt think so. What is your problem. You have such a narrowmind open it up. see it from my point of view

I thought you were being sarcastic because the OP said he wanted PSU by itself after I linked mine and then you told said "the poster clearly wants a case and a psu togeether"

I was wondering if you missed that it was the OP who said that before you.... or if you were being sarcastic, emphasizing sarcastically that the OP wanted just the PSU which wasn't clear to me from the first post.... and wasn't clear to you either as you linked him to a case and PSU combo too.

Oh, and how does a case for $31 and a really crappy budget powersupply for $30 not equal the cost of an antec case/PSU?

And this point of view I'm missing.... what part was that? The part where you link him to a monstrosity of a case with the same problem his original case has: not a quality brand powersupply? He can get a crap brand that's 600 watts and still have problems.

What am I missing?