Valium effects

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
The above is true only if you have a very poor diet.... if you want to improve your sleep the best single thing to start doing is exercising more.

Eat lots of leafy green veggies instead of looking for a "magic" pill to cure you.

Naaaa…none of that green crap for me! Xanax to the rescue!!!

/s…kinda

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
The above is true only if you have a very poor diet.... if you want to improve your sleep the best single thing to start doing is exercising more not taking ANY supplement.

Eat lots of leafy green veggies instead of looking for a "magic" pill to cure you.... they don't exist.
I'm an unsalted nut butter addict, and force feed myself a fatty fish.

:p

I think I'll try the theronate version of the supplement though and see if I feel anything.

The one issue with magnesium amounts is that the particular compound magnesium is a part of is not disclosed.

One study says that magnesium from certain foods has a bioavailability of 25-35%.

So yeah, diet should be addressed first, but a supplementation of magnesium in addition to dietary sources could be better than getting it from just from food alone.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
So yeah, diet should be addressed first, but a supplementation of magnesium in addition to dietary sources could be better than getting it from just from food alone.

So take a quality multi-vitamin daily with a meal. :rolleyes:

Thing is that most everyone wants a quick and convenient "push-button" cure for the results of long-term unhealthy eating/living habits and the truth is that there simply isn't one.

Put down the fork, pick up the fruit and veggies AND most important of all by far GET OFF of your lazy rear-end if you REALLY want to improve your health! (at least that's what my MD and dietitian tell me, those zany mad-caps!)

;)

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
So take a quality multi-vitamin daily with a meal. :rolleyes:

Thing is that most everyone wants a quick and convenient "push-button" cure for the results of long-term unhealthy eating/living habits and the truth is that there simply isn't one.

Put down the fork, pick up the fruit and veggies AND most important of all by far GET OFF of your lazy rear-end if you REALLY want to improve your health! (at least that's what my MD and dietitian tell me, those zany mad-caps!)

;)
Ah, but multis usually pack the cheaper, less bioavailable magnesium oxide, and it also doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier that well. (I'm playing with house money via mom's insurance...they food and healthy benefits don't apply to every supplement present, and there's a couple bottles of Sentry 50+ laying in the house. There's at least 30 bottles of Tumeric+Black Pepper supplements as well)

As a legume whore...I can easily hit the suggest limits with 8ozs of almond or peanut butter. I'm covered. ;)

Igor's diet is far more wacko than mine.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Even the less efficient magnesium-oxide WILL be absorbed in sufficient quantities to be beneficial if taken on a daily basis although I agree that it's far healthier/more effective to get ones nutrients directly from food.

It's nothing personal with you guys but I take serious issue with medical/nutritional FUD being presented "as fact" with little/NO credible scientific evidence to back it up.

;)

EDIT: Discussion of SCIENTIFIC THEORIES otoh is fine provided they are presented as such and not as "proven facts". The last two + years has shown beyond any doubt the damage that can result from letting nonsense go unchallenged.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
Igor's diet is far more wacko than mine.
It keeps changing.

These days, it's

A cup of milk with Lipton Extra Strength teabag in it. No sugar
Roughly 60g of 45% dark chocolate bar
One Loacker triple chocolate tortina
One or two McVitie's Hobnobs Oat Biscuits

whenever I wake up.

After about 8 or 9 hours,

about 300g of grapefruit/orange pieces (subject to availability)
350g of watermelon
about 500g of chicken with rice from a nearby restaurant.

Before sleeping, may eat 250g of watermelon.
Mostly eating few pieces of carrot and cucumbers.

I don't cook. Don't want to.
I do make excellent milk tea / french fries / scrambled eggs / milk shake. But I choose not to. Besides, french fries are the gateway to Diabetes.

• Haha
Jul 27, 2020
EDIT: Discussion of SCIENTIFIC THEORIES otoh is fine provided they are presented as such and not as "proven facts". The last two + years has shown beyond any doubt the damage that can result from letting nonsense go unchallenged.
OK, let me present my theory:

Supplements when taken judiciously and after researching them like hell, MAY contribute to better health :p

• Love

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
It keeps changing.

These days, it's

A cup of milk with Lipton Extra Strength teabag in it. No sugar
Roughly 60g of 45% dark chocolate bar
One Loacker triple chocolate tortina
One or two McVitie's Hobnobs Oat Biscuits

whenever I wake up.

After about 8 or 9 hours,

about 300g of grapefruit/orange pieces (subject to availability)
350g of watermelon
about 500g of chicken with rice from a nearby restaurant.

Before sleeping, may eat 250g of watermelon.
Mostly eating few pieces of carrot and cucumbers.

I don't cook. Don't want to.
I do make excellent milk tea / french fries / scrambled eggs / milk shake. But I choose not to. Besides, french fries are the gateway to Diabetes.
I guess the chocolate provides some magnesium for you, but it's not that much

Seems lacking in the extra virgin olive oil, fatty fish, nut products, fermented products, green vegetables, organ meat/mollusks, berries.

Seems a bit high on the sugar/starches too.

Also, you must be FODMAP resistant to eat that much watermelon and not spew liquid from your gut.

I'm not sure it's the best idea to eat any sort of insulin-stimulating food or food in general just before sleeping.

In short, I see you need supplements for Vitamin E at least. :p

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Even the less efficient magnesium-oxide WILL be absorbed in sufficient quantities to be beneficial if taken on a daily basis although I agree that it's far healthier/more effective to get ones nutrients directly from food.

It's nothing personal with you guys but I take serious issue with medical/nutritional FUD being presented "as fact" with little/NO credible scientific evidence to back it up.

;)

Insulin being a fat metabolism inhibitor is a scientific fact. Just that the collective isn't really willing to highlight that fact to the public due to conflict of interest or trained mechanical blindness of thought(RCTs are not the only way to prove things).

Jul 27, 2020
In short, I see you need supplements for Vitamin E at least. :p
Current supplements:

Grapeseed extract (20g extract)
100mg R-Lipoic Acid
Webber Naturals Super Vision
NOW Pycnogenol 30mg
Youtheory Resveratrol
NOW Magnesium & Calcium on alternate days (just one tab instead of recommended three)
Taurine 1g
REVIVE Kidney
Natrol Carb Intercept (only with the major rice meal)
Digesben with the first meal
Spermidine 10mg

I'm sure that I'm getting the minimum Vitamin E from food.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Insulin being a fat metabolism inhibitor is a scientific fact. Just that the collective isn't really willing to highlight that fact to the public due to conflict of interest or trained mechanical blindness of thought(RCTs are not the only way to prove things).

And you wonder why nobody takes your nutritional/medical advice seriously except maybe as an example of what not to believe?

:tearsofjoy:

My advice is stick to breaking down the NFL. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: WilliamM2

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Valium was designed as an amnesiac...does work like that, too, in certain doses.

Versed is a much more capable and stronger amnesiac. It's strong enough that after administration, MD said not to sign a contract in next 2-3 days after getting a dose. I've had it twice...once for performing 4 1/2 hr. emergency facial plastic surgery on me while awake (couldn't be put under since I'd been eating and drinking alcohol just an hour or so prior to the surgery), and administered another time when I had a chest tube inserted into me due to a collapsed lung.

In both instances, I forgot phone calls I made the day after the drug was administered and my wife at the time said I was docile as a sleeping kitten and was quite "open" to suggestion. I'd imagine

Don't know how much Valium one must take to equate to what Versed does, but it does have the potential.
200w.gif

Car v. Car?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Current supplements:

Grapeseed extract (20g extract)
100mg R-Lipoic Acid
Webber Naturals Super Vision
NOW Pycnogenol 30mg
Youtheory Resveratrol
NOW Magnesium & Calcium on alternate days (just one tab instead of recommended three)
Taurine 1g
REVIVE Kidney
Natrol Carb Intercept (only with the major rice meal)
Digesben with the first meal
Spermidine 10mg

I'm sure that I'm getting the minimum Vitamin E from food.

You would be FAR better served making sure you eat a balanced diet on a daily basis then taking all that overpriced (and mostly of dubious value) stuff.

Further unless you know how all the chemicals you're ingesting daily react with each other (and I'm 100% certain you don't sorry) you have no idea what it's all really doing to you on the whole.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
Further unless you know how all the chemicals you're ingesting daily react with each other (and I'm 100% certain you don't sorry) you have no idea what it's all really doing to you on the whole.
True true.

But someone in future who encounters my post and then checks my post history and if they see me posting years later since this post, they will know at least that this particular combination of supplements at least wasn't toxic :p

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
And you wonder why nobody takes your nutritional/medical advice seriously except maybe as an example of what not to believe?

:tearsofjoy:

My advice is stick to breaking down the NFL. ;)
The relevant part.

Insulin also is an adipogenic hormone that increases the uptake of circulating fatty acids and enhances triglyceride synthesis, thus stimulating the accumulation of subcutaneous fat as well as ectopic fat in liver, muscle, pancreas, heart, and other tissues (1416).

Google Scholar
and

Insulin and Lipid Metabolism
The metabolic pathways for utilization of fats and carbohydrates are deeply and intricately intertwined. Considering insulin's profound effects on carbohydrate metabolism, it stands to reason that insulin also has important effects on lipid metabolism, including the following:

fatspare.gif
1. Insulin promotes synthesis of fatty acids in the liver. As discussed above, insulin is stimulatory to synthesis of glycogen in the liver. However, as glycogen accumulates to high levels (roughly 5% of liver mass), further synthesis is strongly suppressed.

When the liver is saturated with glycogen, any additional glucose taken up by hepatocytes is shunted into pathways leading to synthesis of fatty acids, which are exported from the liver as lipoproteins. The lipoproteins are ripped apart in the circulation, providing free fatty acids for use in other tissues, including adipocytes, which use them to synthesize triglyceride.

2. Insulin inhibits breakdown of fat in adipose tissue by inhibiting the intracellular lipase that hydrolyzes triglycerides to release fatty acids.

Insulin facilitates entry of glucose into adipocytes, and within those cells, glucose can be used to synthesize glycerol. This glycerol, along with the fatty acids delivered from the liver, are used to synthesize triglyceride within the adipocyte. By these mechanisms, insulin is involved in further accumulation of triglyceride in fat cells.

From a whole body perspective, insulin has a fat-sparing effect. Not only does it drive most cells to preferentially oxidize carbohydrates instead of fatty acids for energy, insulin indirectly stimulates accumulation of fat in adipose tissue.

I therefore move for summary judgment that the facts listed above are not in dispute and cannot be rationally disputed. Thusly, no RCT is actually needed to justify some degree or approach to control and limit carb intake although to what degree could use some studies. ;)

Believe it or not, I've always considered Igor's habits a deficient due to the above.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Dose makes the poison.

Further there are PLENTY of medicines and supplements that are perfectly safe on their own but very harmful/dangerous in combination with others.

The entire idea that "evil big pharma" would ignore any significant number of treatments THAT WORK SAFELY is based on flawed reasoning. (although the bastages might try to patent it and triple the price!)

99% of the time folks who want you to believe that crap also btw have some snake-oil to sell.

2pub8y.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
200w.gif

Car v. Car?

Actually, face vs. rear of car. Long story…but my nose was in “45” pieces, according to the plastic surgeon who fixed it. Couldn’t put me under due to alcohol and food ingestion less than an hour before surgery. So got IV Versed and Demerol.

I talked with my mom the next day for about an hour. To this day do not remember that at all.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
The relevant part.

Google Scholar
and

I therefore move for summary judgment that the facts listed above are not in dispute and cannot be rationally disputed. Thusly, no RCT is actually needed to justify some degree or approach to control and limit carb intake although to what degree could use some studies. ;)

Believe it or not, I've always considered Igor's habits a deficient due to the above.
And I think you both have disordered eating.