Valium effects

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
So, I had some periodontal surgery today and the two dentists working on me broke off into coversation....(of course, people have a tendency to forget the patient is alive and conscious....)

One was talking about her experience MRIs and how she discovered she was claustrophobic. Four MRIs. 2nd and third were medicated. She mentioned she took two pills of Valium. Physically, she was all calm and heart rate low, but she was crying or something.

Anyway, the real interesting part is the "obsessive purchase" effect. Same lady said that after one of the sessions, she said she told her whole family they had to go to this grocery store called "Universal", and that it was the utmost importance to get a bunch of Hello Kitty pasta. Day after, she had no recollection of that whole event.

She then mentioned that she had patient who got Valium went home, but on that day, must have bought a Porsche. Because the day after, the patientwoke up and "discovered" the Porsche in his driveway, again having no recollection of the purchase. Now, this wasn't some impulse buy according to he, he had been thinking about it for a while, but he had no inhibitions under the drug.

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
When I had my knee surgery...almost 20 years ago, the doc had me on oxycontin, Vicodin, (which I'm allergic to, so I took Benadryl with it) Valium, and Ambien. I never experienced any of the weird side effects people talk about. No "sleep walking/driving," no obsessive purchasing, nada.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Having taken valium, there is no way 2 valium made anyone buy a Porshe. I call BS lol. Sounds like a excuse for their significant other. Benzos are a very commonly prescribed medication. Unless the prescription was written for a horse and was 10x the normal dosages.

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Having taken valium, there is no way 2 valium made anyone buy a Porshe. I call BS lol. Sounds like a excuse for their significant other. Benzos are a very commonly prescribed medication. Unless the prescription was written for a horse and was 10x the normal dosages.
The two valium dose was not related to the Porsche purchase. The effect of the two-valium dose was just "calm physical indicators" but the patient(the dentist working on my) was apparently still unnerved having to go in an MRI machine.

The Porsche purchase was apparently something that apparently to a patient of said dentist. And the dentist's own experience was going to some supermarket to get Hello Kitty pasta.

Again, this stuff wasn't told as a story for me(I had a bit block and I had periodontal plaque to remove). It's the two workers conversing with each other during my operation.

Because the operation took about 2 and half hours, there was more chatter about other things. I.e the same periodontist getting recorded by someone else(I'm not sure if it is within NIH or at private practice) and getting to hearing the recording; apparently. And talking about sometimes reporting sexual abuse because somehow sedated patients let the secret slip for whatever reason.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Knowing someone who habitually Buys/Sells/Trades vehicles, I could believe that this could happen. That assumes a pattern of behaviour though.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Benzos are fully capable of causing "blackouts" especially in large doses or in combination with alcohol however I don't believe 20mg's max from 2x diazepam tabs would be an issue. (except MAYBE for a very small person)

Last edited:

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I thought Ambien was notorious for this sort of thing, but not Valium. Of course, everyone's physiology is a little different, so claims like this are difficult to dismiss out of hand. My personal, brief experience with Valium is that 20mg could indeed severely impair someone of small stature. 20mg is double the max dose (for someone not acclimated) afaik.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I thought Ambien was notorious for this sort of thing, but not Valium. Of course, everyone's physiology is a little different, so claims like this are difficult to dismiss out of hand. My personal, brief experience with Valium is that 20mg could indeed severely impair someone of small stature. 20mg is double the max dose (for someone not acclimated) afaik.

The only time I've encountered serious addiction was with diazepam I was taking for back-spasms many years ago. At one point I was taking 100-120 mg's (!!) at a time and I LIKED they way they tasted when I chewed them up it got so bad! (obviously I had a huge tolerance)

Foolishly I went "cold-turkey" 100% on my own with zero medical assistance which can be extremely dangerous. (I was unaware of this at the time)

Diazepam however is actually one of the safest benzos in terms of causing an overdose death on its own and in terms of memory-loss/blackouts. The worst that I'm aware of is the illegal in the US "Rohypnol" *(ie: roofies)

Rohypnol (Drugs.com)

• Wow
Reactions: crashtech

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
@Captante , glad you made it out the other end of that experience. Kicking heavy benzo use is rough!

Fortunately I had a fat bag of weed or I'm not sure I survive! ;) :oops:
(Seriously.... all I did was sleep, smoke weed and drink water for 3 days. Weed helped me keep the water down)

And I sorta lied.... the WORST "addiction" I've ever experience by a country-mile was actually quitting cigarettes! (it's been over 20 years and they STILL smell good sometimes!)

Jul 27, 2020
And I sorta lied.... the WORST "addiction" I've ever experience by a country-mile was actually quitting cigarettes! (it's been over 20 years and they STILL smell good sometimes!)
I wonder if you would be able to resist Cuban cigars :p

How come mentioning almost everything under the sun except dark chocolate? Endorphins are the most powerful drug!

• Haha

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

How come mentioning almost everything under the sun except dark chocolate? Endorphins are the most powerful drug!

Cigars (no matter how pricy!) smell and taste disgusting to me although I really like the smell of "pipe" tobacco.

Cigarettes for that matter DO sometimes smell enticing especially if I'm having a (rare these days) coffee and happen to catch a whiff.

Fortunately however if I try to actually smoke one it will TASTE like utter garbage.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Sometimes I still have a strong urge to buy a pack. I think it's fortunate that almost none of my friends or family smoke anymore, less temptation. I got one buddy in SoCal that's a chain smoker though, I worry about him.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Op was high on something and imagined the whole thing.
Negative. Only local anesthesia was applied to a quadrant of my teeth. The qualifications of the individuals are also learned dental pros, thus not just your typical "dumb laywoman".

I also completely lack imagination in terms of making up stories.

In fact, perfect sobriety is my norm. ;) It isn't just because it's good, but also because my ego does not approve losing senses or awareness. ;)

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Fortunately I had a fat bag of weed or I'm not sure I survive! ;) :oops:
(Seriously.... all I did was sleep, smoke weed and drink water for 3 days. Weed helped me keep the water down)

[And I sorta lied.... the WORST "addiction" I've ever experience by a country-mile was actually quitting cigarettes! (it's been over 20 years and they STILL smell good sometimes!)]

• Haha

IBMJunkman

May 7, 2015
This touches on something I have wondered. It is my opinion professionals should not be talking about stuff not related to the purpose they are there for. Or if uninvolved people are around. Like 2 lawyers talking about a case in an elevator full of people. Or docs in an operating room talking before the patient is out.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I took Ambien for a couple of years and definitely did some things I didn't remember doing. They were usually harmless, and almost mostly cooking up meals. And nothing burned down. So that was nice.

But I switched to Lunesta, and that's been fine for ages

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
A magnesium supplement will only help you in ANY WAY if are deficient in magnesium for some reason. (and except in the very elderly this is quite rare)

:rolleyes:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

Dark chocolate is ultimately repulsive w/o any sugar. Maybe you can get three squares in.

For insomnia? A good magnesium supplement will fix that. Why take a drug, especially one that's not recommended to be taken for more than two weeks?
You could be more specific.
Magnesium oxide is apparently the worst choice of supplemental magnesium. Apparently, other types can cross the blood-brain barrier, but the oxide form does not.

I'm not sure magnesium is the first choice to specifically remedy sleep or if it does anything at all. I thought that would be melatonin.

A magnesium supplement will only help you in ANY WAY if are deficient in magnesium for some reason. (and except in the very elderly this is quite rare)

:rolleyes:

People can be rather insufficient in it. At least according to dietary surveys, people generally don't consume the recommended amounts. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Magnesium-HealthProfessional/#h7

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Valium was designed as an amnesiac...does work like that, too, in certain doses.

Versed is a much more capable and stronger amnesiac. It's strong enough that after administration, MD said not to sign a contract in next 2-3 days after getting a dose. I've had it twice...once for performing 4 1/2 hr. emergency facial plastic surgery on me while awake (couldn't be put under since I'd been eating and drinking alcohol just an hour or so prior to the surgery), and administered another time when I had a chest tube inserted into me due to a collapsed lung.

In both instances, I forgot phone calls I made the day after the drug was administered and my wife at the time said I was docile as a sleeping kitten and was quite "open" to suggestion. I'd imagine

Don't know how much Valium one must take to equate to what Versed does, but it does have the potential.

Jul 27, 2020
I'm not sure magnesium is the first choice to specifically remedy sleep or if it does anything at all. I thought that would be melatonin.
Magnesium takes part in over 300 biochemical reactions and it's easy for the body to run out of it if suppose, a lot of carbs are being eaten or there are other stress related factors at work.

One study of older adults with insomnia found that magnesium supplementation at a dose of 500 milligrams daily for eight weeks helped them fall asleep faster, stay asleep longer, reduced nighttime awakenings, and increased their levels of naturally circulating melatonin.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The above is true only if you have a very poor diet.... if you want to improve your sleep the best single thing to start doing is exercising more not taking ANY supplement.

Eat lots of leafy green veggies instead of looking for a "magic" pill to cure you.... they don't exist.