VAIO's suck!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
I have a Sony Vaio PCG-GRV680. I friend passed it on to me because it would only boot 1 out of every 5 or 6 attempts, and then only with 256MB of RAM. I started to troubleshoot it, then googled a little, and found that the sodimm connections to the mobo were known to be faulty. As a test, I pressed the RAM up against the board while I booted, and lo and behold, it booted with 512MB every time, which was what it was supposed to be. I took a couple of plastic pieces that I got from cans of compressed air and put them on top of the RAM and then pushed the cover down against it and screwed it in. Laptop works fine most of the time now, except it has some pretty severe heating issues as well, so it hangs sometimes from overheating, even if the internal fan is running at max speed. I blew it out, opened everything up, and checked it out, but no luck, still the same. CPU is a P4 2.6GHz, so obviously, it's not going to be a cool running laptop, but it burns like Sol even if I'm just web browsing. I had to do a clean format of it, and as such there's no real software cooling solution running. I can probably dl something from Sony's support site, but when you go looking for anything on their site, it gives you like 50,000 things to choose from, and I just haven't had the time or inclination to spend more time on it. As noted previously, the battery life on this thing is also horribly short, again, probably due to a CPU that needs massive amounts of power to run.

Needless to say, I like my Dell Latitude D800 w/ Pentium M 1.8GHz a lot more, and I would never buy a Sony Vaio based on my experiences with this one. Sony always has big ideas, but they seem to often have very little followthrough or support.

shadowfaX

Dec 22, 2000
Originally posted by: The Linuxator
Originally posted by: simms
Originally posted by: aigomorla
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ive had 3 myself personally til i get ibm. The only main bait vaios laptops have is... id like to see ibm/dell/compaq make something as pretty as the Z505, X505, and SR :eek: Those are the 3 i had.. I broke the z505 when i dropped my bag.. Snaped the X505 when my mom sat on it by mistake... and The SR just refused to turn on one day. So yeah... i dont like sony either, there built terribly poor but... whenever i went out to the library and pulled any one of those out... girls would come by and go

O M G THATS SOOOO CUTE!!!

So bleh... need i say more?

If your laptop is the only reason why girls talk to you, then you need some serious help. You know from experience that Sonys will break, snap, or just plain not work - so why not just get an IBM that is built to last?

And then you can make the girls say something else is cute...

Thinkpads are a man's computer, when girls around campus see me using my Thinkpad they don't know what to say, becasue they are used to complementing other guys with notebooks like VAIOs that reflect a metrosexual identity while my Thinkpad reflects pure machoo which scares them a bit but they are still atracted but too afraid to admit it ;)

:thumbsup: :D