V5 5500 drivers for the V3's?

Caitiff

Feb 28, 2000
I just read that there may be a way to use the 5500 drivers for the V3's. Is it true, and is it advisable/faster etc?? I tried to do a search for any similar topic, and didn't find one, so I apologize if I'm rehashing old questions here.

rubberneck

Oct 23, 1999
They work very well. The image quality is improved as well. I'm using them along with the LOD (level of detail) registry file located on SharkyExtreme. If you use the LOD reg. file, make sure to load the V5 drivers first.

Caitiff

Feb 28, 2000
Guess I'll take the plunge then. Had another question along the way. I had a minor crash due to overclocking (tried to get 120Mhz fsb on my P5a, it seemed to work for a bit!!) Anyway, I have a velocity card that I put the beta 3dfx v3 drivers on, and I had the devils own' time getting it to take the drivers again. Do you guys actually have to edit the registry and track down all the .drv, .vxd and .inf files and delete them before overinstalling new drivers????

BlvdKing

Golden Member
Jun 7, 2000
I loaded the V5 drivers on my V3 2000 last night and they are faster than the leaked beta's, esp in 2D! I also hacked the registry to change the LOD bias. I read on Ace's forum that it is possible to enable FSAA through a registry hack on the Voodoo 3! When I enabled it in the registry, and loaded Q3A, I didn't notice any difference at all. In fact, I didn't take a performance hit either. My guess is that the Voodoo 3 ins't capable of FSAA on a hardware level. It's just not there. Drivers are nice anyway - they come with options to overclock and disable v-sync with a registry hack, also. Very cool.

Caitiff

Feb 28, 2000
Paulson
I realize that you were trying to be helpful, but please ask next time before you try to email someone a 16 meg attachment. I've been watching my poor old 56k modem try and d/l your email for the last hour, and it's still only 1/2 way!! FTP or HTTP tranfers are always faster, so a link would have been more appreciated. Again, I do appreciate the help. I'm just going to have to get that DSL modem! :(

ss59

Banned
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah. i loaded the beta win2k V5 drivers on my V3, i get about an 8fps increase. Looks a lot better too.

phlashphire

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2000
So let me get this straight, all we need is v5 drivers & the LOD reg file? Has anyone done a benchmark? Please share your results.

phlashphire

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2000
I don't think the link to the driver in this thread is the one Paulson is talking about. It's only 12 megs as opposed to 16 megs. I think it might V3 drivers, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Paulson or anybody who has gotten this to work, did you install w98 or w2000 voodoo 5 driver? I running w98se and wondering if the w2000 v5 drivers would work, or do I have to get the w98 v5 driver. And last but not least, can someone post a link to the correct v5 driver?

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Wait a minute...are we all saying that the V5 drivers are faster than the V3 drivers for V3 cards? Is this in 2D or in 3D? I'm playing mostly Quake3...will it make a difference? I only just downloaded the latest V3 Win98 drivers on my 56Kbps connection yesterday!

megatexel

Jan 13, 2000
I am just finishing downloading the V3 1.05.00 Drivers. Which are faster? These new V3 drivers or the V5 ones?

thx