Nov 17, 2019
May 19 (UPI) -- NASA engineers are investigating a mystery with telemetry data from the aging Voyager 1 probe.

The Voyager 1 probe, currently 14.5 billion miles from Earth, is receiving and executing commands from NASA team on Earth and sending back science data, according to a NASA statement.

Voyager 1's signal hasn't weakened, which suggests its antenna remains properly aligned, but the telemetry data it's returning appears random or impossible, engineers said.

The engineering team plans to continue monitoring the signal to determine whether the invalid telemetry data is coming directly from AACS or another system involved in producing and sending such data.

Cue Ilia?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
It's crazy to think that we are still communicating with it in first place. The coordination required must be insane, since you have to point the dish where it's going to be, not where it is now, and then you need to do that again to get the response back. At least, I assume. I guess a lot of that is probably automated but whoever wrote that software is a genius. Lots of heavy duty math goes into that.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
It is kinda surreal I was reading about that satellite in elementary school with "A New True Book" published in the 90s.

When volcanoes(Mt St. Helens and Paricutin remain readily accessible in my memory to this day), dinosaurs, and space were the captivating things to read about and computers were not readily accessible to "most normal people".

Nov 17, 2019
Joke?

What joke?

What hump? - YouTube

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
It's crazy to think that we are still communicating with it in first place. The coordination required must be insane, since you have to point the dish where it's going to be, not where it is now, and then you need to do that again to get the response back. At least, I assume. I guess a lot of that is probably automated but whoever wrote that software is a genius. Lots of heavy duty math goes into that.
45yrs ago?
we should have launched another probe 20yrs ago that's faster with more sensors to the left or right of vger1.
it probably would have overtaken vger1 by now

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Yup, and it obviously caused a buffer overrun. Reality should freeze up at any moment.
Warning: Abnormalty detected. Matrix will have to be reset.
Russia launching nukes in 5min...
<Abort>

More efficient way found:
Accident in Large Haldon Collider causing the Jesus effect with the God particle in 3,2,1...

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi