UV or polarized filter?

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
I like having a filter on the front of my lens, I feel a bit more secure just that I could scratch my filter and replace that and not my lens... I know the more glass you have the lower quality but i rather have a filter.

So UV or polarized filter? I always put Uv but would a polarized work better?

Tanks!

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
I'm not so sure that polarized automatically equals UV protection, of course another point of the UV filter. Also you'll always be taking more light away from your lens than you would probably want.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
They are totally different. UV and ND filters do not have any effect on your exposure. Polarizers can - they are like the lens wearing sunglasses. As you turn them - they can lighten or darken.

There are many times when I use BOTH. The UV or a ND (Neutral Density) filter is really there to protect the objective glass of the lens. There are times, especially with telephoto shots, when adding a polarizer is very useful.

This is a recent sample of using both - a shot requested by a local church publication:

UV+Pol

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000
Originally posted by: corkyg
They are totally different. UV and ND filters do not have any effect on your exposure. Polarizers can - they are like the lens wearing sunglasses. As you turn them - they can lighten or darken.

There are many times when I use BOTH. The UV or a ND (Neutral Density) filter is really there to protect the objective glass of the lens. There are times, especially with telephoto shots, when adding a polarizer is very useful.

This is a recent sample of using both - a shot requested by a local church publication:

UV+Pol

Uh, ND filters reduce exposure.

corkyg

Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Yeah - I misspoke - meant UV and/or skylights. :)

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004

UV+Pol

It's a rather more sophisticated effect than merely lightening or darkening ;)

Here's an example that shows you what they can do on reflective surfaces:

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/dug777/1.JPG

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/dug777/2.JPG

corkyg

Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
That's true - I can get wierd effects when driving and wearing real Polaroid glasses. Some of the plastic faces on the instrument panel are rainbowed and blotchy - and so is some of the side and rear tinted glass.

But, basically it is like the camera wearing Polaroid subglasses. :) Same effects.

madmacks

Jul 14, 2000
That's true - I can get wierd effects when driving and wearing real Polaroid glasses. Some of the plastic faces on the instrument panel are rainbowed and blotchy - and so is some of the side and rear tinted glass.

But, basically it is like the camera wearing Polaroid subglasses. :) Same effects.

Never heard of Polaroid sunglasses. Kodak is so innovative!

troytime

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: madmacks

they're all the rage mans!!

corkyg

Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Originally posted by: madmacks

Polaroid has been around for decades - they make the best prescription ground sunglass lenses and also ready mades. Kodak? Different company. :)

Polaroid