Utah, List of "illegal immigrants" released to the public

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
they broke the law to get here. nothing alleged about it.

That would be incorrect. Around 45% 'entered' the country 'legally'.

And considering Utah is around 95% white (with over 10% of them being of Hispanic origin) this was a really stoopid idea.

--

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
That would be incorrect. Around 45% 'entered' the country 'legally'.

And considering Utah is around 95% white (with over 10% of them being of Hispanic origin) this was a really stoopid idea.

--

Yes, and they agreed to stay for a set period of time and refused to leave.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I have mixed feelings about this...

On one hand, the list probably contains private information on/about citizens and legal immigrants.

it also contains social security numbers which should not be published at all.

However, if it contains the names and addresses of illegal immigrants, then those people should be rounded up and deported immediately once it's proven that they are here illegally.

The process should also investigate where they're employed and their employers should be heavily fined for hiring illegal immigrants.

The list of social security numbers should be carefully checked to ensure none have been stolen, and the rightful owners of the numbers should be notified that their information has been compromised.

Very much agree with the bolded part

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Very much agree with the bolded part

I agree as well. Putting the crunch on employers, and all government programs to verify applicants will fix the immigration problem faster then anything else. If they can't work or get welfare, they won't stay.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
Just an FYI nobody is going to be looking into deporting the alleged illegals on this list. Any investigation that is taking place is to find and prosecute those who released this list, which likely was obtained illegal in a government database by a government employee.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...f-1300-illegal-immigrants-living-in-Utah.html

LOL, our tax dollars at work. Goverment employees deciding which laws to enforce and which not to enforce. Justice is not only blind, it's deaf and dumb as well.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
ICE Tip Line: 866-DHS-2-ICE

Turn 'em in and make those goverment employees actually do something constructive for a change.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
What they need is a list of the people hiring the illegals. They are the ones who should be feeling "terrorized".

I guess they could always go back home, hopefully before their anchor babies pop out. They used to say "Yankee go home" but now they want to live/work here. I do have to wonder how many of them are sending every dime they can save back home and will retire there in 20 years while their American counterpart will have to work 40 years to have a shittier retirement.

The IRS takes months to get back to you on fraudulent or duplicate i9s...whatcha going to do? You can't bust someone that hired someone with no knowledge applicant was illegal. The assumption is they are given you SS card a state ID.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I probably hate illegals more than most, but this is not a good idea.
Like many other fear/hate related responses, it will probably cause more harm to decent people than criminals.

See also: Gun control.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
That is dangerous. What if some wacko hurts or kills one of those folks or their children over them being here illegally? Worse what if this list has people on there and its wrong?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100714/ap_on_re_us/us_undocumented_immigrant_list

I have several problems with a stunt like this.

1. It won't get anyone deported.
2. It violates the privacy of several people. Illegal or not, the general public shouldn't be able to see all the info on an individual (Family members, pregnancies, SS#, the works is on this list).
3. There is no proof that these people are actually illegal immigrants. They are Hispanic.

I'm all for the government cracking down on illegal immigration, but this crosses the line.

Ya, could lead to Vigilantism as well.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
So near-certainly breaking laws to expose people you suspect are breaking laws...

at the same time though:
The woman the AP spoke with said her family's personal information could have been accessed by government workers because they had applied to the state's Children Health Insurance Program.

Subsidies for people that jump the fence?

Last edited:

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
The woman, who said she has been in the U.S. for eight years, said her family is considering returning to their home outside of Mexico City where they all have citizenship.
Hispanic activist Tony Yapias, who translated the conversation over the phone, said the woman's fears are prevalent.

She has been here 8 years and hasn't bothered to learn the language or apply for citizenship ?

I don't approve of peoples info being posted publicly. A big problem with things like SS numbers is they are not often stolen but made up. Some business do not hand in worker info to the IRS except in quarters . By the time they find out the SS# is fake the worker has moved on. My brother got 8 tax forms in the mail, for 8 different Spanish names. They picked his address off a business card.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
ICE Tip Line: 866-DHS-2-ICE

Turn 'em in and make those goverment employees actually do something constructive for a change.

They get a $60 fine, cost of court, 30 days suspended sentence. The government has gotten to where it doesn't use deportation unless the person has a criminal offense . Everyone else gets a slap on the hand and we will follow up with you later. Later the person cannot be found.

Elias824

Golden Member
Mar 13, 2007
From actually reading the article, it sounds like a bunch of people did this illegally.

"Utah Gov. Gary Herbert's spokeswoman said Wednesday it will likely be several days before It's known whether state workers leaked the personal information of more than 1,300 people who an anonymous group claims are illegal immigrants."

This isnt the states solution to illegal immigration, there is going to be an investigation. Dose anyone read these articles anymore?

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
I believe that most, if not all, of the illegal immigrants in this country are more hard working and productive than any of the trolls that post in this forum. Honestly, though, I'd much rather deport the unemployed Americans than the employed Mexicans. One group was born here to be lazy and the other group came here to work their asses off.

I know which group understands the American Dream better.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I believe that most, if not all, of the illegal immigrants in this country are more hard working and productive than any of the trolls that post in this forum.

Then you believe wrong. While some do come with good intentions, others more than make up for it in using resources, theft, murder, etc .

illegals in prison where each one is responsible for an average of 8 felonies and have even been deported twice.

Want to come here and work hard ? Get an application and apply. If they are willing to 'overlook' our immigration laws then what other laws will they just decide doesn't apply to them ?

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
You know its kinda funny. The right wants blood, but they forget that their grandparents were illegals too. The Indians were not able to secure the borders and now look at the mess we have. They came here and bred like rabbits and just f'ed up the place :).