Utah, List of "illegal immigrants" released to the public

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100714/ap_on_re_us/us_undocumented_immigrant_list

I have several problems with a stunt like this.

1. It won't get anyone deported.
2. It violates the privacy of several people. Illegal or not, the general public shouldn't be able to see all the info on an individual (Family members, pregnancies, SS#, the works is on this list).
3. There is no proof that these people are actually illegal immigrants. They are Hispanic.

I'm all for the government cracking down on illegal immigration, but this crosses the line.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
People with social security numbers shouldn't be illegal should they? If they were stolen SS numbers, then people might do things with them that may hurt some identity theft victims.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
So why then would you publically publish those SS numbers? Why wouldn't you contact the legal 'owners' of those SS numbers directly and privately to clear up any issues with their numbers?

That alone is enough reason something like this shouldn't have went out.

Chuck

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
If they are illegal they don't have a social security number lol.

RTA

The list also contains highly detailed personal information such as Social Security numbers, birth dates, workplaces, addresses and phone numbers. Names of children are included, along with due dates of pregnant women on the list.

I'm guessing the guy that released the list assumed they were stolen.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
This is reminiscent of the publishing of the identities of people that supported Prop 8.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28921234/

In both cases, it is a bad idea.

What they need is a list of the people hiring the illegals. They are the ones who should be feeling "terrorized".

"My phone has been ringing nonstop since this morning with people finding out they're on the list," said Tony Yapias, former director of the Utah Office of Hispanic Affairs. "They're feeling terrorized. They're very scared."

I guess they could always go back home, hopefully before their anchor babies pop out. They used to say "Yankee go home" but now they want to live/work here. I do have to wonder how many of them are sending every dime they can save back home and will retire there in 20 years while their American counterpart will have to work 40 years to have a shittier retirement.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
I do have to wonder how many of them are sending every dime they can save back home and will retire there in 20 years while their American counterpart will have to work 40 years to have a shittier retirement.

That should be highly taxes and it would solve a lot of the problem.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Say no to anchor babies.
Make illegals pay higher Taxes.
I also think all Aide given to the poor should be reported to the IRS.

I think a lot of people get a lot of handouts from various sources. So I think all of the charitable organizations should have to report to the IRS every time they give someone a charitable payment. A lot of people should have to pay taxes on all their handouts. We also need to keep track of what each person's total handout level is each month and cut them off after they receive a set number of dollars in handouts. There are some people who work the system so well they just sit around and get drunk every day.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
how does an illegal "look"?

The list potentially has people on it that are legal citizens. Nobody has proved that the people on the list are illegal. By you initial response, I'm guessing you didn't think it was such a bad thing, meaning, you only care if they look illegal on paper.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I have mixed feelings about this...

On one hand, the list probably contains private information on/about citizens and legal immigrants.

it also contains social security numbers which should not be published at all.

However, if it contains the names and addresses of illegal immigrants, then those people should be rounded up and deported immediately once it's proven that they are here illegally.

The process should also investigate where they're employed and their employers should be heavily fined for hiring illegal immigrants.

The list of social security numbers should be carefully checked to ensure none have been stolen, and the rightful owners of the numbers should be notified that their information has been compromised.

Jul 10, 2007
The list potentially has people on it that are legal citizens. Nobody has proved that the people on the list are illegal. By you initial response, I'm guessing you didn't think it was such a bad thing, meaning, you only care if they look illegal on paper.

no, i just hate illegals for leeching off our system and bringing down our quality of life, regardless of race or color.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
no, i just hate illegals for leeching off our system and bringing down our quality of life, regardless of race or color.

In other words you were just running off your mouth. What you said had very little to do with the op. You might as well said "I hate ponies!", it would have been just about as relevant.

PieIsAwesome

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2007
People with social security numbers shouldn't be illegal should they? If they were stolen SS numbers, then people might do things with them that may hurt some identity theft victims.

Illegals can have legit SS numbers, yes. They can also be stolen. Either way, releasing them for everyone to see is fail.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
what?? a list of criminals who shouldn't be here in the first place??