USPS Priority Mail questions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Can the mailman take my item if it's already paid for?

What happens if I got the weight wrong (insufficient postage)?

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Aren't all USPS items prepaid? not sure if I understand you question correctly.

If the weight you enter is not enough, the item will be sent back to sender for insufficient
postage.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
You can pay for shipping at usps.com, to make printable shipping labels, then you can just hand the package to the mailperson.

If you get the weight wrong it may come back to you. You then have to pay full price to ship it again.

tomt4535

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2004
You can schedule a pickup and pay for postage on USPS.com. Weigh the item before you buy the postage online.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
I don't have a scale that can accurately weigh things. I got the weight from two online sites that had the same item in the official box.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Things supposed to be returned to sender rarely make it back, so I wouldn't bet on that.

Saint Nick

Lifer
Jan 21, 2005
I under paid my postage a long time ago when I took a Priority Mail box to a post office. I paid the difference right there. There were, however, other instances, where I handed them the package and they just took it and put it in the "big pile of stuff to be mailed".

So, who knows...I can safely say that if you over pay, they won't be so kind to refund you the difference ;)

dealmaster00

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2007
There have been multiple instances where someone underpaid the postage on a package they sent me, and I had to pay the difference. Pretty lame. It hasn't happened on priority mail though, so it might just get returned to sender.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
if weight is under (you under paid), it gets sent back to sender.

If you paid electronically, they will send you a bill for the difference. It still gets delivered.

Same way if you don't confirm the label printed correctly. It won't bill you then at all, but once your item is verified as delivered they will send a bill for the postage due.

If you just stuck stamps on it, it can go either way. They may deliver and try to bill the return addressee or simply return it to you.

If you are doing priority and shipping from your home I'd recommend electronic.

Also in some areas they may charge for pickup if the item is larger than a certain size.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
If you paid electronically, they will send you a bill for the difference. It still gets delivered.

Same way if you don't confirm the label printed correctly. It won't bill you then at all, but once your item is verified as delivered they will send a bill for the postage due.

If you just stuck stamps on it, it can go either way. They may deliver and try to bill the return addressee or simply return it to you.

If you are doing priority and shipping from your home I'd recommend electronic.

Also in some areas they may charge for pickup if the item is larger than a certain size.

I paid electronically so would the bill have come in the mail or email?

BTW: It was 2.3 ounces over and I had to pay 75 cents more. The lady told me she could just ship it anyways and no one would know unless they check it. I asked about return to sender and she said they might it depends who checks it.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I can only speak for using USPS.COM, if done electronically through them you will get a letter about paying. It can take a few weeks though.

Status
Not open for further replies.