Using street legal racing slicks on your daily driver?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
I run Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial II 3744R 315/35/17 at 25psi. Car is useless without them.

Do not and will not drive them in the rain. Small price to pay to be able to fully unload the front suspension on the street the remaining 11 months of the year.

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
I run Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial II 3744R 315/35/17 at 25psi. Car is useless without them.

Do not and will not drive them in the rain. Small price to pay to be able to fully unload the front suspension on the street the remaining 11 months of the year.

I run MT Drag Radials and as long as you avoid the rain, you are fine.

Atty

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2006
I can't believe I posted this two years ago. O_O

What if you are out and it happens to rain and you need to get home?

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
I wait or call a cab or flatbed. I'm not stupid.

Though I always keep an eye on weather radar and if for whatever reason it's wrong I hurry home early.

Its only 3 months out of the year I even have to worry about it.

Last edited:

ProchargeMe

Jun 2, 2012
Nitto 555 all day, every day. Sketchy in heavy rain but as long as you don't drive like a dumbass you'll be fine. The nittos are perfect for dry weather.

Rickybobby1985

Aug 2, 2012
Nitto 555 all day, every day. Sketchy in heavy rain but as long as you don't drive like a dumbass you'll be fine. The nittos are perfect for dry weather.

Ok thanks and ya I know about be a dumass in the rain that's y I am rebuilding it now but thanks for the tip :cool:

Rickybobby1985

Aug 2, 2012
What about the tire life on the do they last long or do they suck I don't want pay for them and then like a month later I have to turn around and get new ones

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I wait or call a cab or flatbed. I'm not stupid.

Though I always keep an eye on weather radar and if for whatever reason it's wrong I hurry home early.

Its only 3 months out of the year I even have to worry about it.

You call a flatbed when it rains because you can't drive your car in the rain??

Why don't you just get some racing tires that have grooves?

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
You call a flatbed when it rains because you can't drive your car in the rain??

Why don't you just get some racing tires that have grooves?

These ARE racing tires with grooves.

I've experienced driving on DOT drag tires on a large open wet safe surface. Enough to know better than to try it on the street with other cars.

Also in Tucson, when it rains it rains hard, like 1-2" water flowing in the street sideways.

Last edited:

JCH13

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2010
Also, because it rains so infrequently in that neck of the woods, there is way more oil/dirt/grime coming up out of the asphalt, making it extra slippery.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
I run ET Streets on the Trans Am, and I had them on my '01 z28 when I sold it.

I've been caught in a light rain a few times, where the streets were completely wet. They still gripped better than regular summer tires. Just don't do it when there is a thick layer of water.

I've had Nitto 555 ZR extremes, were horrible. Spin city on a stock ls1 with 285 width. I could spin all through first and a good chirp into 2nd in an auto tranny. A 255 MT ET Street gave a slight chirp and hooked even when cold.