Question using some SAS drives

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
What would be the simplest way to add a couple of inexpensive SAS enterprise drives to my network for occasional backup of files? I'd like to be able to occasionally power it up,
possibly by switch or something, then back up files.

I see that SAS drives are supported by Windows 10, which all of my pc's have. I also see that there are some very inexpensive SAS pcie controllers out there.
Would it be a fairly simple thing to add one of these controllers, hook up the drive, and then use it?

If so, then the only aspect I'm not sure about would be adding some sort of power switch lever/button so that this thing is not always powered up and spinning.
Any ideas?

Thanks!

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

something like that, get it used on ebay... but dedicated controllers are a PAIN in bootup time as it has its own bios that needs to boot up before your PC starts.

Normally you do not hot cycle a SAS drive.
You just let it run on all the time. I hear having them go on sleep also increases chances of hard disk failure.
In general SAS drives have a much beefier stator designed solely for enterprise environments.

If you want to play with SAS drives and SAS controllers, i suggest you build an secondary machine with cheap parts and something with a dedicated 8x PCI-E slot.

A old repurposed HP Dell tower server may work good in this situation, and you can pick them up very cheap.
They don't need to be fast. They just need a PCI-E slot, and a caddy where you can store the SAS Drive.

But if you want something you can flip on and off, i really recommend you do not do this, as your looking for probably more a external HDD, and there are several reasons why they do not come as SAS interface to USB.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Regarding building a secondary machine with a small enclosure, would it have to be Windows, or does Linux also support SAS drives?

linux fully supports SAS as long as you know how to install proper drivers.

Windows is basically dummy proof, as it will auto detect, and install.

I also like FreeNAS or you can also go unRAID.