Using Remote Desktop between 2 networks

Oct 11, 1999
Here's my setup. Wireless modem ==> wireless router(1) ==> access point ==> wireless router(2).

Router #1 has two computers one wireless and another wired. The signal is then sent 2500 feet to an access point which is wired into router #2. Router #2 then feeds both wired and wireless computers.

I don't want router #1 handing out address at location #2. Router #1 addy is 192.168.1.1 Router #2 is 192.168.10.1.

What changes do I need to make to share files and use remote desktop between the computers on the 2 routers.

Routers are Linksys WRT54G and access point is Linksys WAP54G. Running hyperwrt and hyperwap firmware.

Internet access is working fine on both networks and I can use remote desktop on the #2 router network but, haven't got remote desktop to work between the two networks.

The computer that I want to RDT into is xp pro while all others are xp home. If RDT won't work what other alternatives do I have.

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
are you bridging all that wireless?

If you arn't, why go through the pain of 2 networks? just turn off DHCP on one of the routers and tape/bubblegum the WAN port.

Oct 11, 1999
I have never set up a bridge between anything on these two networks. As I stated in my OP I really don't want the router thats a half mile away from my house controlling everything at my house. If that link should go down then my network at home would go down and I would like to stay away from that.

I just need to access some records stored at home from my shop. Also ther are times I need to run a program thats on my computer at home when I am at the shop.

I can ping #1 router from the computers on the #2 router. I can also access #1 router from the computers on #2 router. I can ping the computers on the other router.
I have opened port 3389 on both routers and pointed them to two computers I want to use RDT on. Just can't get RDT to workd between the two computers. Hoping it was something thats not to hard to setup.

Madwand1

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2006
IIRC, I was able to get remote desktop working just fine with port forwarding between two routers. Are you running any software firewalls? Have you tried disabling them?

Tried using the IP to address the remote computer?

Oct 11, 1999
Thanks for the help guys. I got it working this morning. Found out that I din't know how to login to RDT when using two networks. Didn't know that I need to use the address of the router followed by the port that I was using.

To login I had to enter 192.168.1.2:3389

thanks again

Madwand1

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2006
I don't recall having to include the default port number, but hey, if it works... Cheers.