Question Using Onboard GPU, yet 1 Long, 2 Short Beeps (GPU Error)

Modify_inc

Oct 13, 2015
I just built a PC yesterday using a new Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2 revision 1.1 motherboard. It claims on the box it's "AMD Ryzen 5000 Desktop Ready", which is great because I'm using a Ryzen 7 5800X. At first, I didn't realize it said this on the box, and so I tried to upgrade the BIOS using the Gigabyte Q-Flash button to make sure it would support my CPU. I tried flashing it using 5 different USB sticks, and yes, I placed them in the correct USB port, and also renamed the BIOS file to GIGABYTE.bin and placed the files in the root of the freshly formatted FAT32 USB sticks. The onboard LED and the flash drives would flash quickly for about 45 seconds, but then the onboard LED would stop, while the USB sticks would stay illuminated (no blinking), like forever. This same result was the same for all the USB sticks I tried (5 total). From my understanding, if the LED stays lit permanently on the sticks, it means it's not working. Also, the power supply would never spin up, which from watching videos, they say the PSU should start to spin up when it's actually writing the new BIOS, which is right after the initialization process (the 45 seconds the LEDs are blinking quickly).

I'm not sure if the above is related to my issue, but the PC will NOT post! I keep getting what sounds like 1 long beep and 2 short beeps (GPU error), but I'm ONLY using the onboard GPU. I also tried it with a GPU in the PCIe x16 port, but I still get the same error. Also, shouldn't you get a beep error of sorts if you remove all the memory from the board? When I tried booting with NO memory installed, it never made any beeps. Also, I noticed the power button and power button LED acts strange with the memory removed. When the PC does not post, I usually just hold the power button for 3-5 seconds, let go, and it shuts down. Though with the memory removed, when I hold the power button longer than 2 or 3 seconds, the power button LED starts flickering, and continues to flicker as long as I'm holding it, and yet when I let go, the PC will NOT shutdown. So, I have to flip the PSU switch to disconnect the power.

To me, all of this points to a faulty motherboard, and I have reached out to Gigabyte, but they state it can take 3 to 7 days to hear back. That's a long time, and from what others have stated regarding their support, each interaction with them can also take an additional 3 to 7 days for them to reply. I'm tempted to just return this motherboard since I just purchased it earlier this week, and buy another, unless someone thinks there's a better or easier solution.

PC Parts:
Ryzen 7 5800X
Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE AX V2 v1.1
Certified Corsair 2x16GB / 32GB 2133MHz RAM
Samsung 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD 1TB
Samsung 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD 500GB
EVGA 600 BR, 80+ Bronze 600W
Noctua NH-U12A CPU Cooler
Cougar MX330-G MX330 Case

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm not sure if the above is related to my issue, but the PC will NOT post! I keep getting what sounds like 1 long beep and 2 short beeps (GPU error), but I'm ONLY using the onboard GPU. I also tried it with a GPU in the PCIe x16 port,
Honestly, sounds like you might have partially-flashed the BIOS, which could have rendered the board useless.

But you should also know, unless the APU has a "G" designation (for AM4), then there's no graphics output from the chip.

IOW, you don't have any onboard graphics on your 5800X.

Though, it's more worrysome that you didn't get the add-on GPU to post either. Although, did you switch the HDMI cable from the onboard (I/O cutout rectangle) to the discrete GPUs' HDMI port? If you didn't switch the cable, then that's why you didn't get any output from that, either, and just got beeps.

I would have tried to build the system without using the flashback, at first. You should be using a supported CPU.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
It claims on the box it's "AMD Ryzen 5000 Desktop Ready", which is great because I'm using a Ryzen 7 5800X. At first, I didn't realize it said this on the box, and so I tried to upgrade the BIOS using the Gigabyte Q-Flash button to make sure it would support my CPU.

Let this be a lesson to you, perhaps you should spend at least a little time reading the supporting documentation, before taking a flying leap like trying to Q-flash the BIOS.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
As others have stated, you need a graphics card to go with the 5800X, as it does not have onboard graphics. If when using a graphics card, the system still won't post, then it is very possible the board has an issue, possibly a corrupted BIOS messed up by a partial flash. Either way, my advice would be to return/exchange the board for another, and make sure you have a GPU ready for the next one.