Using Noctua NH-U9B SE2 cooler and getting ~79c in p95 on 4790k stock.

Xenphor

Sep 26, 2007
I have this cooler http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608016
and a 4790k on a asrock h97m pro4 motherboard. I've been running prime95 v26.6 small FFTs and using coretemp as well as hwmonitor for reading temperatures. They both show pretty much the same thing. The ambient temp is quite cool as it is winter obviously and no heat is on. Do these temps not seem kind of high? Also, should the cpu be leaving marks on the heatsink as seen in these pictures?

http://imgur.com/a/ZD3zz

I guess I might be kind of paranoid but at stock shouldn't the temps be much lower?

I've remounted the heatsink now three times, each time applying new thermal paste which is the included paste by Noctua. I've tightened everything down and see no other way of adjusting the mounting mechanism as it's pretty straightforward. I don't really see anything else I could do with it. I use the slightly larger than a pea size method and push the heatsink down to spread the paste, give it a little wiggle and tighten everything.

edit: Holy shit if I use the most recent version of prime and do small FFTs I get temps into the 100s.

Last edited:

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
The pics look like the outer rim of the IHS is higher than the center, possibly making poor contact?

Try setting the bios to undervolt in small steps until temps decrease. Most of the time they set the voltage higher than necessary.

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
I don't even use Prime, so I couldn't tell you. IBT tells you what you need to know in 15 minutes. You do realize your temps will never get that high with whatever applications you're using, right?

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I went in and manually dropped the voltage down in steps until my 4790K ran at 4.4 without touching 80C running Intel Burn Test.

I ended up at 1.030 volts.

I am stable with all 4 cores at 4.4

That was with a 212evo cooler. I would set the bios to minus .01 volt steps and see if the temp comes down.

Xenphor

Sep 26, 2007
Using IBT my temps get to 90c at very high stress.

The x264 test seems to be the only one where I get decent temps.

Last edited:

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
That's all you need to know. IBT hits 90C stable & that's safe. End torture of CPU. No programs will stress like that.

Xenphor

Sep 26, 2007
Hm I hate to bring this up again but reading around the internet it seems people are able to get temps into the 60s with intel burn test. Anybody know what's up with that?

Xenphor

Sep 26, 2007
Does the heatsink get hot to the touch?

It gets pretty warm. The fans ramp up and hot air is blowing out. It's not uncomfortable to touch. Though like I said I locked everything down that I could and reapplied paste 3 times. The sad thing is that this is during winter too, don't know how worse it would be during summer.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
What temp are you looking at? I noticed that the "package" on HWMonitor or in MSI Afterburner, the generic CPU temp is 10C higher than the highest core temps. Generally the temps people talk about are the core temps.

Xenphor

Sep 26, 2007
What temp are you looking at? I noticed that the "package" on HWMonitor or in MSI Afterburner, the generic CPU temp is 10C higher than the highest core temps. Generally the temps people talk about are the core temps.

They are the core temps.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Yeah but even reading reviews of people who bought my heatsink shows they are getting better temps. Seems my temps aren't even better than what the stock heatsink would give.

What matters more is what temperatures your CPU hits in the programs you run (compute, games, video encoding, rendering, etc.). If you all you do is browse the web, watch videos and play games, who cares that the CPU hits 100C under Prime95?

Read this article to calm yourself.
http://www.techspot.com/article/927-temperature-impact-cpu-performance/

Second, you have warranty. So stay even calmer. :D

If you are hitting 100C, the stock cooler would do even worse.
7160_29_thermalright-true-spirit-140-bw-rev-cpu-cooler-review.png

BTW, your CPU cooler was never designed for high-end overclocking. The higher 120mm Noctua U12S model gets absolutely destroyed by a $40 Thermalright True Spirit 140, so how do you think a U9B would do?

graph-3.png

However, you don't need to worry about this unless you specifically run real world programs that stress your CPU to 95-100C regularly where thermal clock throttling may occur.

Third, if it makes you feel any better, a 90-92C Intel i7 is going to last just as long as a 70C i7 in practical terms. By the time your CPU dies, more likely than not, it'll be outdated anyway. If it still freaks you out, a $40 cooler I linked for you should help you and if you sell your Noctua for $20, it'l be $20-25 out of pocket for your peace of mind.

Where lower temperature helps is in achieving stability with higher overclocks, not so much about real world longevity of the actual CPU. See how a Noctua U12S maxes out at 4400mhz but high quality air coolers like the Noctua NH-D15 and Thermalright series coolers can hit 4700mhz? That's why people pay $40-100 for higher-end cooling. High-end AIOs were able to net another 100mhz on top of high-end air coolers. Another main reason people upgrade their cooling is to achieve quiet noise levels.

graph-4.png

Last edited:

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Yeah but even reading reviews of people who bought my heatsink shows they are getting better temps. Seems my temps aren't even better than what the stock heatsink would give.

Maybe those people have a lot of noisy, high-airflow fans in their cases, and you don't? Or, much more likely, they are just using different software to read their temperatures. Like Russian has already said, unless you plan on running Prime95 every day, you have nothing to worry about.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
My Ivy Bridge i5 is a smaller core built on the same transistors as your Haswell i7, and should run cooler, all else being equal. With a custom 3x120mm water cooling loop, the heatspreader removed with a razorblade and liquid metal between the core and the waterblock, I was able to get down to around 70c under an AVX load (Prime or Linpack) at similar clockspeeds to what your i7 is running at.

I highly doubt they're getting into the 60's under an AVX load with an air cooler and the heatspreader intact.

Jovec

Feb 24, 2008
At "stock" my 4790k would hit 100c under a NH-D15 with Prime 95 AVX or IBT. The reason is that many motherboards auto-overvolt to ensure MCE overclocking (in addition to the extra voltage AVX pulls). Most likely you need to tame the CPU voltage.

Last edited:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
At "stock" my 4790k would hit 100c under a NH-D15 with Prime 95 AVX or IBT. The reason is that many motherboards auto-overvolt to ensure MCE overclocking (in addition to the extra voltage AVX pulls). Most likely you need to tame the CPU voltage.

Exactly. Start by disabling MCE (multicore enhancement).

Turbomode simply uses the VID that its designed only to use with a single core. Even worse if the motherboard manufactor then adds a bit extra on top.

If you want to OC, do it manually.

Xenphor

Sep 26, 2007
Okay thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll just leave it as is and continue on with life.