Question Using Intel XMP Ram on AMD Motherboard/CPU

sub-80

Jan 11, 2014
Hey Guys;

Was intending first to build an Intel Based PC with Nvidia GPU. But first bought the HDD, SSD and Ram before buying the CPU and Motherboard. Which later I changed my mind and bought an AMD Ryzen 5 7600X with ASUS Tuf B650M Plus Wifi, forgetting I got an Intel compatible Ram, not the AMD equivalent.

Here is the list:
I believe there should not be an issue as long as the DOCP is not used and am not really sure if there will be a future problems.

If anyone can enlighten me if it better to buy a AMD compatible Ram.

Thanks;

gdansk

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2011
I have both XMP and EXPO DDR5 memory.
Both kits work just fine in ASRock X670E Steel Legend and ASRock B650M HDV/M.2.
First boot takes a long time but after that it isn't too bad. Not as fast as without XMP or EXPO enabled. Likely to be the same on Asus boards.

Is the memory still in its return window?

sub-80

Jan 11, 2014
Yes, but am getting a temporary red screen when the PC switches off or I run a Game. And also got FTPM/PSP NV Corrupted which was fixed when the FTPM was reset. But the red screen persists. There are two mistakes in my setup.
  1. Installed an Intel Compatible Ram instead of AMD.
    • But PC is operating with no issue except the red screen
  2. As per Noctua, CPU Cooler should be tightened up to 0.6Nm but I missed it and tightened fully. Later noticed it reduced 2-3 turns as the torque screwdriver I have is rated a minimum of 1.2NM.
    • But PC is operating with no issue except the red screen

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
7000 series uses EXPO if im not mistaken.

I have yet to hear someone get EXPO to work correctly, and they even got rid of it in bios as it was a culprit of melting your cpu.

Have you tried running the RAM without XMP or EXPO if you still have EXPO feature?

Personally i would look for ram that does not require 1.35V

sub-80

Jan 11, 2014
7000 series uses EXPO if im not mistaken.

I have yet to hear someone get EXPO to work correctly, and they even got rid of it in bios as it was a culprit of melting your cpu.

Have you tried running the RAM without XMP or EXPO if you still have EXPO feature?

Personally i would look for ram that does not require 1.35V
I have not used the XMP or EXPO. BIOS Overclocking and DRAM have been left at Auto [Default].

Hotrod2go

Nov 17, 2021
This is pretty simple to solve, is the Intel designed RAM you have on the QVL for you motherboard support list?
If it is - GREAT! heck, you will probably be able to even OC with is as AM5 bios codes have updated significantly since that platform was released.
If it is not, then no big deal either, It will still work when the memory training algorithm does its stuff. But OC with it may be challenging, of course all depends on the end user skill & patience.
I use 1st gen Intel designed RAM on my AM5 rig with no issues whatsoever - in fact OC it is fun & challenging. :)