Using HD 6870 With AMD A10-5800K Trinity?

Machiavegli

Jul 5, 2013
I am building an AMD rig and would like to use the AMD A10-5800K Trinity as the CPU. The AMD website states that the "recommended" pairing for their "dual graphics solution" for it is a HD 6670. I already have a HD 6870 from the system I'm replacing. Will the HD 6870 work with the A10-5800K Trinity CPU and if not, what problems would I have? :confused:

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
it will work fine, BUT you will not be able to use the integrated GPU... that's the only thing...
but the 6870 is so much faster anyway...

since you are not going to use the IGP, you can buy the Athlon X4 750K and overclock a little bit for the same performance (the X4 750k is the same CPU, but with lower clock and the IGP not working)

the AMD recommended solution is regarding "dual graphics" which means using the IGP and a discrete graphics at the same time, but it would be MUCH slower than the 6870 alone

Machiavegli

Jul 5, 2013
it will work fine, BUT you will not be able to use the integrated GPU... that's the only thing...
but the 6870 is so much faster anyway...

since you are not going to use the IGP, you can buy the Athlon X4 750K and overclock a little bit for the same performance (the X4 750k is the same CPU, but with lower clock and the IGP not working)

the AMD recommended solution is regarding "dual graphics" which means using the IGP and a discrete graphics at the same time, but it would be MUCH slower than the 6870 alone

Thanks! Using the Athlon X4 750K would certainly save money, which is an important consideration with this rig. It looks like AMD's "solution" isn't going to solve anything for me. :\

Oct 14, 2011
Slightly OT since the OP has been answered, I heard there's a way to make a 6670 crossfire with an APU where the video card's GDDR is used. What's the perf of this configuration, I can't find any benchmarks on this.

Machiavegli

Jul 5, 2013
Slightly OT since the OP has been answered, I heard there's a way to make a 6670 crossfire with an APU where the video card's GDDR is used. What's the perf of this configuration, I can't find any benchmarks on this.

I thought that's supposed to be the purpose of AMD's dual solution I was asking about, so the question is quite on-topic actually. Could one of the resident pros explain? :confused:

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Hey, are you going to keep this system for the long haul, or swap it out later? I can see getting an A10 if you think you might upgrade again before long, but still want to keep your 6870 (it will be a little while yet before any iGPU is fast enough to keep up with that level of discrete power). Easier to sell a fully working system with an a10, then keep your 6870 for another upgrade when you need moar power :)

SiliconWars

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2012
Hey, are you going to keep this system for the long haul, or swap it out later? I can see getting an A10 if you think you might upgrade again before long, but still want to keep your 6870 (it will be a little while yet before any iGPU is fast enough to keep up with that level of discrete power). Easier to sell a fully working system with an a10, then keep your 6870 for another upgrade when you need moar power :)

That's a good point, never really thought about it that way.

Machiavegli

Jul 5, 2013

It'll be for the long haul. I don't sell stuff, it just gets handed down to less-demanding users until it's so obsolete that it's useless.

Aug 11, 2008
I thought that's supposed to be the purpose of AMD's dual solution I was asking about, so the question is quite on-topic actually. Could one of the resident pros explain? :confused:

Crossfire between an apu and a discrete card is a mixed bag. Sometimes it shows a benefit and sometimes no benefit at all. It can also be subject to stuttering issues. In your particular case, it seems irrelevant since your discrete card alone will far outperform any crossfire solution with the igp.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
if you need some IGP for future use, the A8 5600K can be found for a good price.

as for the integrated GPU using memory from the graphics card, that's not the case, it's always going to use some shared system memory (when active)

Last edited: