Using Gmail with Outlook (2010)

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
I've just used Gmail's web interface for the past couple of years, but I've been thinking about setting it up with Outlook on my home PC using IMAP. Anybody got experience with it? How's the performance when using IMAP? I know Google does offer a utility that syncs Google Calendar with Outlook's calendar, but is there any good way to manage or sync contacts between the two?

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
IMAP is way to go. Obvious advantage is being synced up between all computers and gadgets. Google servers are very reliable, I randomly get server connection problems.

Outlook 2010 has some nice features not seen in previous releases, such as addition of smart actions that can move messages wherever you want with one click.

blipblop

Jun 23, 2004
Just going to try this as well. How long does initial sync take? Hours? My gmail inbox is pretty big.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
I tried it last week. Initial sync wouldn't complete (would time out after 2-3 hours) unless I hid some of my larger folders/labels from IMAP. Even after the initial sync was done, updates would take several minutes. I just gave up on it.