Using dual monitors on both onboard and external GPUs?

Jocosity

Jul 29, 2014
I've been trying for ages to offload one of my monitors to the motherboard GPU in order to cut down on my GTX 570's temperature, but I can never get it to work. I was reading http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2277958 and tried most of the things in it, but my bios settings don't seem to change anything and when I enable both the GTX 570 and the internal GPU in the device manager it just says "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)" for the internal GPU and won't let me do anything with the monitor plugged into it. My motherboard is an Asrock Z77 Pro4; does anyone have any suggestions? Is it just not possible?

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
it is a setting in the bios generally. Do you have the exact model of the board as some with similar names can have different bios.

edit: looking at the manual for the board google brings up in the #1 spot, I suspect from a quick glance at the manual you need to set the option called "iGPU Multi-monitor" to enabled.

Though as there is a warning regarding windows xp and vista, I assume you are not using either of those OS otherwise you will be having issues.

Last edited:

Jocosity

Jul 29, 2014
I have it enabled in the bios, but it won't actually let me do it in Windows (I'm using 7, by the way). I do have the Render Standby and Deep Render Standby enabled too, though, since they defaulted to that and I couldn't find exactly what they did outside of "enabling or disabling render standby for the internal graphics". Should those be disabled?

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Though as there is a warning regarding windows xp and vista, I assume you are not using either of those OS otherwise you will be having issues.

At least in Vista's case it's because you cant run multiple graphics drivers on WDDM 1.0, though you can run multiple cards provided they use the same driver. This is "fixed" in WDDM 1.1 (Win7).

XP should be able to do it, but Intel properly didn't bother writing a driver with support for that...

I have it enabled in the bios, but it won't actually let me do it in Windows (I'm using 7, by the way). I do have the Render Standby and Deep Render Standby enabled too, though, since they defaulted to that and I couldn't find exactly what they did outside of "enabling or disabling render standby for the internal graphics". Should those be disabled?

These settings allow the BIOS/OS to shut down rendering when there is no on-screen activity, or shut down the IGP completely when there is a discrete card installed. Its actually more relevant on laptops.

Jocosity

Jul 29, 2014
At least in Vista's case it's because you cant run multiple graphics drivers on WDDM 1.0, though you can run multiple cards provided they use the same driver. This is "fixed" in WDDM 1.1 (Win7).

XP should be able to do it, but Intel properly didn't bother writing a driver with support for that...

These settings allow the BIOS/OS to shut down rendering when there is no on-screen activity, or shut down the IGP completely when there is a discrete card installed. Its actually more relevant on laptops.

So should I disable Render Standby, then?

Jocosity

Jul 29, 2014
So I restarted my computer today, and now it's just working for some reason. I wish I knew what exactly it was so that anyone searching here for future reference could find this thread and see what I did, but all I can say is to follow that thread I linked to earlier and then hope it works itself out.