Using a Network-Attached-Storage

VolunteerFireF

Jan 16, 2013
Easy question for you experts.

Can you play movies from an NAS or is the connection speed too slow?

I know the connection speed from a NAS is capped at most at 1000 megs/sec and probably much less. While speed directly from an internal hard drive is probably around 3 gig/sec. But, for playing movies, does it make a difference?

LoveMachine

May 8, 2012
Any decent quality NAS is more than capable, but the super cheap ones (I tried a WD MyBook Live) are not up to the task. Lot's of stuttering.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Also can depend on whether or not you are using wired or wireless connections to the NAS. Wireless is kind of iffy, unless you have some pretty high-speed/high-powered wireless gear, or live out in the boondocks with no wireless interference from neighbors.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Would the connection speed be sufficient to play blue ray from the NAS?

How aer you connecting your NAS to your other devices? If it's wireless, you may run into some issues. If your NAS is gigabit and wired to your devices using Cat5e it should stream 1080p content fine. If it's less than gigabit speeds and wired, you may run into playback issues. Why don't you describe your setup and specs?

VolunteerFireF

Jan 16, 2013
It'll definitely be wired.

I've tried streaming movies directly from my HTPC and there is occasionally lag. If you guys are wondering, I decided to switch usage from my HTPC to a NAS because my media size is getting too big. It's already approaching 5 terrabytes and climbing fast. Putting another hard drive into my HTPC seems to be the wrong way to go given the lack of fans in the small HTPC casing.

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
Would the connection speed be sufficient to play blue ray from the NAS?

With my wired gigabit connection, yes. No problem. My kids are destructive, so I rip all my discs and have zero issues playing back from my unRAID NAS.

Wireless or slower speed networking? No idea.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
It'll definitely be wired.

I've tried streaming movies directly from my HTPC and there is occasionally lag. If you guys are wondering, I decided to switch usage from my HTPC to a NAS because my media size is getting too big. It's already approaching 5 terrabytes and climbing fast. Putting another hard drive into my HTPC seems to be the wrong way to go given the lack of fans in the small HTPC casing.

I'd sort out the problems with the htpc first. If you're playing a movie directly from the htpc and there's stuttering, maybe your htpc hardware isn't up to snuff. As fas as being able to play blu ray content from the NAS, as long as your LAN speeds are sufficient you should be fine. What are your htpc specs?

VolunteerFireF

Jan 16, 2013
strangebrew,

I can't give you the specs since I haven't purchased the NAS yet! I'm researching like crazy right now. I was thinking about getting a Synology DS413J with three 3-TB drives for a total of 9 TB. My HTPC would play the movies directly from this NAS.

The only thing that gets to me is the cost. Basically, I am paying an additional $350 to set up an NAS rather than storing directly on my HTPC. But, I thought this way would be much safer.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
strangebrew,

I can't give you the specs since I haven't purchased the NAS yet! I'm researching like crazy right now. I was thinking about getting a Synology DS413J with three 3-TB drives for a total of 9 TB. My HTPC would play the movies directly from this NAS.

The only thing that gets to me is the cost. Basically, I am paying an additional $350 to set up an NAS rather than storing directly on my HTPC. But, I thought this way would be much safer.

LOL The HTPC specs. You said you streamed direct from your htcp and it lagged occasionally.

On a side not, I was a volunteer FF for a few years. I miss it man. Had a lot of fun doing it!

VolunteerFireF

Jan 16, 2013
I'm sorry. I meant that there is occasional lag when I play from the HTPC wirelessly. There is nothing wrong with playback from the HTPC otherwise. And, that is why I decided that the NAS would all be wired because it seems that wireless can't handle the bandwith.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I'm sorry. I meant that there is occasional lag when I play from the HTPC wirelessly. There is nothing wrong with playback from the HTPC otherwise. And, that is why I decided that the NAS would all be wired because it seems that wireless can't handle the bandwith.

Ah I see. Well yeah, if you go wired with a NAS you'll be fine. Wireless introduces a whole bunch of potential issues.

EDIT: Just watch out for what LoveMachine posted also.