Question Using a computer headset with computer and phone at same time?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Is there a way to use a computer head set with the computer but also with a phone? Like some kind of splitter with headset lifter? Basically at work I want to start doing self paced training (videos) but if a phone call comes in rather than having to pause the training, take off the head set, and pickup the receiver I want to be able to just pause the video, hit a button, and I get the phone call through the same headset. Is there such thing as a setup like this? I'm guessing it would be similar to a regular phone headset with the lifter for the receiver, but it would have an audio jack. Just not sure what to search for.

I could probably rig something together but if an actual product exists I might actually be able to get my work to pay for it. I already bought the head set to use as head phones (I don't like ear buds that go right in your ear) and then realized I might be able to make use of the mic if I can find a way to simultaneously use it as a phone headset.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
You'd need a multipoint bluetooth headset to do it. Such a headset is able to pair to multiple devices (2 to 4, depending upon the headset) simultaneously.

The best solution would be to get a phone that can utilize an electronic hookswitch aka EHS (a cable that allows you to remotely answer and hang up the phone ) - EHS cables are specific to a particular phone and headset. Absent that, you'd need a physical handset lifter like the Plantronics HL10 or Jabra GN1000. Similar to an EHS, a handset lifter is only compatible with the manufacturer's base stations (i.e. can't use a Plantronics HL10 with a Jabra bluetooth station and vice versa).

In both circumstances, the bluetooth base station for the headset would be connected physically to the phone and would control answering and hanging up (whether electronically via EHS or physically via manual handset lifter). You'd then pair the headset with the base station, followed by a second multipoint pairing to whatever other device you are using.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Not to my knowledge - I think you can probably get a wired headset that can control a handset lifter, but have never seen on that can be used on multiple devices simultaneously. This type of stuff tends to be specialized as a lot of it is meant to be used with IP phones using VOIP that can be centrally managed on a network.

BTW, the Plantronics headsets we used to use at work lasted well over 8 hours of near constant use on a single charge - just drop them back into the base station cradle for recharge during lunch and at the end of day.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Would something like this work?

Plug this where handset goes, leave handset off hook, when a call comes in the phone will beep instead of ring (but I can hear all the other phones ring anyway) and I can just hit the button for the extension that's ringing.

Would just need to figure out the best way to split the audio from the computer but that's not too big a deal. Basically if I can get the wired headset working with the phone the hard part is done, the rest is just the thing of splitting the audio from the computer into it. That's why I want to stick with wired as it will be easier to interface with I think.

Our phones are Nortel so they arn't listed but the audio going through to the handset should be a fairly standard format right? Like just analog?

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Nortel was bought out by Avaya, so you'd want to make sure that the cable you referenced is compatible. Some Nortel/Avaya phones also have USB ports on them to be used for headsets. If the phone is an IP phone and is not locked down, you can usually get the default password for the setup menu with an internet search.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Would not your company use a standard phone? At least it would be a phone with the company's number for incoming business calls.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
They do it's a Nortel Meridian system. (well Avaya now but it's basically same hardware, the phones themselves are Nortel). But what I'm trying to do is kinda non standard. I want to be able to take calls on a computer headset and still use it on the computer at same time. I know they make head sets for phones such as Plantronics, used one when I was working helpdesk, but what I'm trying to do is beyond what those are made for.

lnanek

Aug 16, 2020
I do something similar. I have a pair of Shure Aonic 50s. They are Bluetooth paired to my personal laptop and phone and can take calls and the like using their built-in microphone. Then I run a USB-C cable from them to my work laptop. The work laptop then plays audio to them over USB-C audio. For work meetings, the work laptop microphone is used. I hate Bluetooth mics for work anyway because the latency is too high and you often get talked over at meetings.

Never needs charing since the USB-C connection keeps them charged. Allows taking meetings all day on the work laptop, but still answering calls on the Bluetooth connected phone. If the phone plays something over Bluetooth, the work audio over the USB-C cable is cut off, but worst I ever have to do is toggle off Bluetooth on the phone when I'm not taking calls there.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
For me it would have to be hard wired though, these are digital landline phones, not cell phones, so can't use blutooth.

This is less relevant for now though since I'm either working from home, or at the office alone, so I can just use the speakers for training.