Solved! Using a ASUS router

retab12332

May 7, 2020
If I were to use my own router such as a ASUS router, do I have to tell VERIZON? What do I need to do? (I am new to this)

Solution
I'm guessing, that you are a Verizon FIOS customer? If you have TV, you might need to leave the Verizon router in the loop, for the set-top boxes and guide data.

If you're an internet-only customer, it's simple, just replace the Verizon router with your own.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm guessing, that you are a Verizon FIOS customer? If you have TV, you might need to leave the Verizon router in the loop, for the set-top boxes and guide data.

If you're an internet-only customer, it's simple, just replace the Verizon router with your own.

Solution

retab12332

May 7, 2020

Don't I need to inform them that I am using my own router and not theirs, and other things? (i am new to this)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Don't I need to inform them that I am using my own router and not theirs, and other things? (i am new to this)
Shouldn't "need to", no. If you ever call for tech-support, though, they will ask if you are using their router, or another router, and may refuse tech-support if you're not using a Verizon-supplied (or branded) router.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
So I just plug it in and its ready to use?
AFTER you configure it, go through their set-up program, choose a number for your MagicJack, select a few options, "Use without PC" (the final option, I think). THEN you unplug it from the PC, and then it's ready-to-use and plug in to your router, and plug a cordless phone into it.

It does require initial configuration with an internet-connected, Windows OS-using PC (with USB ports).

EDIT: Sorry, why is this post in this thread, I could have sworn I posted it in the MagicJack help thread. Weird. The same thing happened to @killster1 recently too.

Forum DB / disk corruption?

Or just my absent-mindedness?

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
OP, have you ever configured a router before with a web browser? If not, you may want to watch some introductory tutorial videos on YouTube about the process.