Users mess

rbaibich

Jun 29, 2001
I just installed XP, and I have 3 accounts: mine (admin), mother's, brother's. Everything I install will show up to everybody, right? But I was told that it is possible for me to install a new program and it'll only be accessible to me. How can I do that?

Thx.

viguru

Banned
Sep 9, 2001
I use linux but I think whatever you install as admin will be global for all users and I think whatever you install as a regular user will only be available for you. I would test this theory by loggin in as admin and creating a test user and installing something under the test user's login and then logging in under your login and seeing if you can use the program. But, everything will always be available to the admin.

rbaibich

Jun 29, 2001
I'm a linux user too. But it seems that under the hood my account isn't really a root account, as there is another account named Administrator. I just have all privileges turned on. Someone told me there's a way to install a program so that it'll show up only when I'm logged in.

viguru

Banned
Sep 9, 2001
Hmm...Maybe all of the users have all the privileges turned on and that is why other people can see your programs and stuff. Maybe you have to restrict their access

rbaibich

Jun 29, 2001
Using a simple example: I'm trying to install ICQ for every user. As it doesn't have a good multi-user support, seems the way to do it is to install once for every user. I installed using my account, and it showed up to every user in the house. The problem is that when my brother tries to run ICQ, it'll try to register his ICQ#, recognizing that it's using a different user, but it'll run into an error message saying "couldn't create database index".

Actually, all I need to know is how to install a program for just one user, that won't show up in other user's start menu, that won't be available to others.

MulLa

Golden Member
Jun 20, 2000
I am not really sure on this but I'll try to answer your question. For programs that can support "multi user" environment it needs to be w2k certified (well maybe XP certified in the future) that's when you see the little w2k logo on the software package.

To get programs only for a particular user you can arrange their start menu and put the program shortcut in that particular user's start menu. Then install the program only in a folder / partition that only the user you wanted to use the program have the necessary NTFS permissions.

This still won't solve the "non-w2k" certified problem but just lets that particular user use that program.

I may be wrong about the "w2k certified" thingy.