usernet servers. wich is the best?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Compton
Originally posted by: Special K
I tried astraweb once and the pay as you go option is nice and cheap, but their speeds were awful.

What speed were you getting? I consistently max out my 4.0 Mbps connection.

It was awful. I would often see only 50 KB/s, and the maximum I could usually get was about 150 KB/s.

With easynews, I can get about 800 KB/s all the time. The global search feature automatically makes them better than all other usenet providers though.

NuKe9

Golden Member
Jun 29, 2001
Am I reading the Easynews page correctly? 14-21 days retention? And no unlimited plans either. 20GB would go pretty fast...

I have to admit, though, they do make it very easy. The search and auto rar features are pretty cool.

Newshosting seems to be best bang for the buck. $15 unlimited with 45 days retention isn't bad at all.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: NuKe9
Am I reading the Easynews page correctly? 14-21 days retention? And no unlimited plans either. 20GB would go pretty fast...

I have to admit, though, they do make it very easy. The search and auto rar features are pretty cool.

Newshosting seems to be best bang for the buck. $15 unlimited with 45 days retention isn't bad at all.

Is that what it says? I usually get about 45 days retention.

ZOXXO

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2003
Easynews is the best because of their global search feature and web download interface. With all of the other providers, you have to download a million headers to find anything, unless you want to pay for a search service like newsleecher offers. Easynews may not be the best deal in terms of GB/$, but since I am not a heavy user it works out great. They charge $10 for 20 GB each month, and unused gigs rollover each month.

I tried astraweb once and the pay as you go option is nice and cheap, but their speeds were awful.

In short, easynews w/global search > *

I disagree. Easynews is the worst because they attempt to make Usenet just another website.

Usenet predates the internet yet has remained relatively obscure while being available to anyone with impetus to learn the protocol of it.

Let Usenet continue to be hidden in plain view.

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
Originally posted by: ZOXXO
Easynews is the best because of their global search feature and web download interface. With all of the other providers, you have to download a million headers to find anything, unless you want to pay for a search service like newsleecher offers. Easynews may not be the best deal in terms of GB/$, but since I am not a heavy user it works out great. They charge $10 for 20 GB each month, and unused gigs rollover each month.

I disagree. Easynews is the worst because they attempt to make Usenet just another website.

Usenet predates the internet yet has remained relatively obscure while being available to anyone with impetus to learn the protocol of it.

Usenet isn't all that.

Bittorrents are the easy way to get stuff now and there's always IRC so I don't pay for Usenet any more. It doesn't make sense to pay for what you can get for free. ;)

Besides, IRC is more "|33+" anyway. :laugh:

Falloutboy

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2003
I use usenetserver, never had an issue with speeds I get a consitent 500kb (not sure what my connect is since I don't pay the neighbors bill)

then I use newzbin for nzb, yes I know there are free alternatives but newzbin makes it so much easier for a couple bucks a month

Falloutboy

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Beachboy

Usenet isn't all that.

Bittorrents are the easy way to get stuff now and there's always IRC so I don't pay for Usenet any more. It doesn't make sense to pay for what you can get for free. ;)

I'll pay 15 a month for peice of mind I won't ahve the RIAA or MPAA barking down my door, and the fact that torrents don't get close to the reliable speed of a good usenet account

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000

Do you think the fact that they are making it easier to use is going to draw more people to it?

Even though I could do it the "old-fashioned" way, I can still appreciate a more streamlined interface and good search capabilities.

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Falloutboy

Usenet isn't all that.

I'll pay 15 a month for peice of mind I won't ahve the RIAA or MPAA barking down my door, and the fact that torrents don't get close to the reliable speed of a good usenet account
You don't know where to find good torrents or good IRC then because I regularly download from both at over 1M/s. ;)

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000

Usenet isn't all that.

You don't know where to find good torrents or good IRC then because I regularly download from both at over 1M/s. ;)

Do share;)

Are they private torrents/IRC channels?

Falloutboy

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2003

Usenet isn't all that.

as can I but it requires a bit of speed up time and me actaully "sharing" upload bandwidth. i'll take my guarnteed 5M/s with no uploading required

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001

Usenet isn't all that.

as can I but it requires a bit of speed up time and me actaully "sharing" upload bandwidth. i'll take my guarnteed 5M/s with no uploading required
IRC doesn't require upload and it's free. And it's way harder to figure out than Usenet which is why it will probably never die, lol.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000

Usenet isn't all that.

IRC doesn't require upload and it's free. And it's way harder to figure out than Usenet which is why it will probably never die, lol.

The one thing I never liked about IRC was that disconnects seemed to occur pretty frequently, and there was no guarantee that a given server was going to still be there the next day.

3NF

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2005
I don't care for BitTorrent. I have free access to a premium unlimited usenet service, so I use that.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

Usenet isn't all that.

you are a fool to think the RIAA and MPAA to think they are nto watching usenet or it will keep you safe.

while the odds are low (heck odds are low bith all fo them) it is not going to keep you 100% safe.

they were cracking down on usenet years ago. Also many groups from old IRC/BBS days got nailed.

neither is safe.

but anyway i do not use it to download games/music or other illegal stuff.

Falloutboy

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2003
Originally posted by: waggy

Usenet isn't all that.

you are a fool to think the RIAA and MPAA to think they are nto watching usenet or it will keep you safe.

while the odds are low (heck odds are low bith all fo them) it is not going to keep you 100% safe.

they were cracking down on usenet years ago. Also many groups from old IRC/BBS days got nailed.

neither is safe.

but anyway i do not use it to download games/music or other illegal stuff.

the key is that i'm not at risk. since i'm not uploading anything so I'm not helping with the distribution. so they really don't have much to try to get me with.

and dependin on your IRC you do have a good chance at getting caugh on torrents. when I was heavly into torrents I got 2 letters from my ISP that they were contacted by the MPAA for a couple TV eps I downloaded (British shows I can't watc in the US)

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Giganews is more expensive than the rest for a reason.

There are cheaper alternatives but they don't have the same level of service.

gabemcg

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2004
Originally posted by: Maleficus
Newshosting is a decent cheap alternative from what I've heard.

thats what I use... 14.95/mo Unlimited, 45 days retention, 8 connections... I max out my Comcast 8mb d/l...