Used (or new) Car Advice

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
Malibu is alright... The first couple model years of the latest body style were pretty terrible but I don't see them breaking too much lately. Its a decent looking car until you spend more than 10 minutes in it and realize everything is still that GM cheap-shit horrible fitting plastic just prettied up some. From my experience they don't exactly get that great of mileage either. The good thing is they still have horrible, horrible resale value so you can get a hell of a deal if you look right.

A fellow realist. I like you. ;)

I always feel like I'm taking crazy pills when I hear about how awesome GM's interiors are now. Yes, they rattle less and look like a bit more effort went into them...but it's still the same awful materials, just formed into different, more elaborate shapes.

Mechanically reliable stuff, though. Typically, at least. Again, the Impala- it's like they were TRYING to make it suck. Working with rental cars, like 1 in 10 went back to the dealer with major problems almost immediately after delivery. Sample size in the hundreds.

Malbus did not have the same issues. I think a couple went to the dealer for side airbag codes (I don't think GM can figure out how to run the harnesses in the seat right). Otherwise just your typical 'some dumbass knocked this part off' fixes.

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
My dad had a09 Malibu I have a 09 Altima, I don't find them significantly different inside
You could look at a Cruise Eco as well sincyou are racking up HW miles, Elantas or Sonatas too lots of good choices in the small mid categories.

ElMonoDelMar

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2004
I think I'm going to go with either a base 2013 Corolla or a base 2013 Elantra. I'm going to test drive them both today. The Elantra costs a bit more, but it has the features I want (Sat Radio, alloy wheels, cruise control). The decision will probably come down to how much the insurance company gives me for my wrecked car.

Sheep221

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2012
It's better to get used car, though you don't warranty and so on, it's more cost effective, as price of a new car go very fast down as you get it, while its real value not.

ElMonoDelMar

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2004
It's better to get used car, though you don't warranty and so on, it's more cost effective, as price of a new car go very fast down as you get it, while its real value not.

If I drive a car that is at least 3 years old, I get more of a reimbursement back from work for driving a car that fits within the "program". With low enough interest, it should offset the hit I will take from buying new by a little bit.

Also, I think I'm going to go with the Hyundai. For the price, it feels like a better value. The extra 4 MPG highway will help out a bit too.

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
If I drive a car that is at least 3 years old, I get more of a reimbursement back from work for driving a car that fits within the "program". With low enough interest, it should offset the hit I will take from buying new by a little bit.

Also, I think I'm going to go with the Hyundai. For the price, it feels like a better value. The extra 4 MPG highway will help out a bit too.

Remember don't believe the Hyundai/Kia MPG unless they've already revised them after the fiasco. That said, I think a new Elantra or maybe a used TDI are the best options. Maybe a slightly used Prius. With as fast as you put miles on the car you shouldn't have to worry about the battery life.

You need something with better MPG than an Impala type car.

Black2na

Nov 25, 2010
I think I'm going to go with either a base 2013 Corolla or a base 2013 Elantra. I'm going to test drive them both today. The Elantra costs a bit more, but it has the features I want (Sat Radio, alloy wheels, cruise control). The decision will probably come down to how much the insurance company gives me for my wrecked car.

honestly look at the focus i just spent a week with a focus SEL in LA and on my 2 hour journey to and from san diego i managed to get a good 38.6 MPG was comfortable the whole time. and this was with 2 people in the car and a mild load of stuff in the car with cruise set at 74MPH. i really liked the car even more so then the v6 mustang convertible current mustangs really are not that impressive just a dolled up 05-06 mustang plastic interor. i give credit to the v6 engine though i got 28.2 driving around hawaii and had plenty of grunt when i needed it but the interor of the car was a wicked let down. but back to my main point. look at a new focus hatch. comfortable great gas mileage and fit alot of luggage in it with no problem! and i even had the horrid non ecoboost 4cyl in it.

ElMonoDelMar

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2004
They've revised the window stickers. I think the Elantra used to be 40 MPG now down to 38.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
Corolla is not a bad car at all, but it's just so...'blah' is about all you can say about Toyota anymore.

I like the Elentra a lot when I looked at one in-person, but I never drove. If its manners are the same as the Kia Forte, though (same platform iirc), then it's pretty nice. The Forte reminds me of Ford/Volvo/Mazda small cars. Not quite as good (driven lots of S40's and Mazda3's, like them a lot, own one of the latter), but still quite firm and flat in corners (for fairly inexpensive FWD car) with decent steering and brakes.

In comparison, the Toyota is what I would call 'competently numb.' The suspension is decent, the car responds very predictably; but it's just about if not the least sporty thing in its class. Though the 'competent' part is nice. There are other cars that turn in sharper and roll less, that I may not trust as much as something with such typical, very neutral, 'stiff enough to work' suspension and steering. But damn it's boring.

Have you looked at the Mazda3 or Focus? Any reason not to consider the Civic? Nissan has the new Sentra...the previous one, I found inferior to the Versa (quite 'Toyota-like' in road manners- maybe a little better, I thought), but the new one looks like a nice facelift.

ElMonoDelMar

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2004
The Sentra felt smaller on the inside than the Elantra. The Civic is a it out of my price range and I really didn't like the Focus for some reason.

ElMonoDelMar

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2004
The Mazda3 was fun to drive and the Chevy Cruze was my early favorite before hoping in the Elantra. I like the idea of the small turbo charged engine in the Chevy for good mileage when you wanted it and that extra boost when you needed it.

Atrail

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
You can get a used Honda Insight 2010+ for much cheaper than used Prius. That will be best bang for you buck.