EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I think I've seen this done before, but is there any downside to using straight rigid copper runs for a section of a custom water loop? I have some straight pipes and fittings left over from when I replaced the plumbing to the wet bar upstairs and I can just solder up a NPT adapter no problem.

I was thinking that it might be a easy and doable solution for a "pre-cooler" if installed before an actual radiator on the reverse side of the motherboard. Even if it kept the temps down just a few degrees more it would be a more compact solution to adding another radiator to the loop.

Thoughts?

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
I've used copper elbows before. Didn't get any green oxidation for as long as I had the loop but I was running one of those premix solutions, not straight distilled water.

I don't really see any downsides other than it being fixed, so may need to be changed if you change hardware.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I could probably arrange it so that the hard tubing was fixed and had barb fittings on either end... sort of like make it part of the chassis so it could be drained and reused. just an idea though, the softer copper does look better but like you said it's pretty permanent if mounting everything in the main compartment of the case.

I typically use an anti-microbial additive in my distilled water, and I don't typically see any oxidation either but I guess I'll just have to inspect the pipe from time to time... easy if I pop off the reverse side panel though.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
if you do use copper tubes make sure you polish the exterior on them.
Sure it will effect the heat transfer from the tube, however it will stay shiny and not oxidize into some nasty looking thing.

Koolance also has pipe fitting adapters.

I have used them and copper tubes in a few projects which worked fine.

The only downside with tubes, is the difficulty when removing.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
okay, good to know.

i was looking at it last night and it looks like there isn't quite enough space behind the motherboard tray for the size pipe I have, but there is a little room toward the front next to the 5.25" expansion bays. I might be able to put together some kind of "S" pipe with some elbows and achieve a similar design; I might be able to put a small ball valve drain in there too. I think I have seen those adapters before too... so I might just go that route instead of soldering up some bastard connectors or something.

ideally, I'd like to have the CPU/chipset on one loop, and the GPU's on another, but I'll have to see what space I have once the hardware goes in. I think I'm gonna go overboard and sleeve all of my minor cabling this time.