Use a computer as a Pre-amp?

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
31,203
45
91
Goku, by making several threads relating to your same topic, you're getting answers that don't apply to what you're trying to do because people don't know what your real goals are.
 

imported_goku

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2004
7,613
3
0
Building a pre-amp not only would require lots of time, but would be very difficult and too primitive to suffice for my needs.
 

slackwarelinux

Senior member
Sep 22, 2004
540
0
0
Originally posted by: goku
Building a pre-amp not only would require lots of time, but would be very difficult ...

Oh, come on.
I could hack up the fet preamp in less than 15 minutes, its only got 7 parts, and would cost about two dollars to make.


Originally posted by: goku
... and too primitive to suffice for my needs.

What are your needs?
 

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
17,768
485
126
Do you have Visio?

A diagram of what you're trying to do would help.
 

imported_goku

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2004
7,613
3
0
6 component inputs, 6 S-Video/composite inputs, 4 or more optical inputs, 3 digital coaxial inputs, some stereo audio inputs, yeah...
 

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
17,768
485
126
That's much more than a preamp. Especially if you need YNC level processing etc.

Some receivers do this and have preamp outputs.

I've heard of folks with decent systems retrofitting to HT doing this. Basically they use the preamp outputs to their main amps and use the receiver's speaker outputs for the surrounds and center.

Now getting back to the original idea of using a computer - you would need an a/v switch-router that can control RCA (most are balanced - XLR), optical (TOS Link and again most would be AES-EBU), etc. These products are oriented towards production/studio use and are priced accordingly.

One thing I would recommend against is connecting the preamp output (2V) of a computer soundcard directly to the input of a power amp. If something goes awry your ears, loudspeakers, and amplifier could be damaged.
 

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
31,203
45
91
Originally posted by: goku
6 component inputs, 6 S-Video/composite inputs, 4 or more optical inputs, 3 digital coaxial inputs, some stereo audio inputs, yeah...

And then plugging in to a $300 set of speakers :p

Don't forget that part ;)
 

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
21,200
9
81
Originally posted by: YOyoYOhowsDAjello
Originally posted by: goku
6 component inputs, 6 S-Video/composite inputs, 4 or more optical inputs, 3 digital coaxial inputs, some stereo audio inputs, yeah...

And then plugging in to a $300 set of speakers :p

Don't forget that part ;)

Seriously, wtf...how on earth do you need that many inputs.
 

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
31,203
45
91
Originally posted by: MS Dawn
Originally posted by: EvilYoda

Seriously, wtf...how on earth do you need that many inputs.

Some people have a lot of stuff. ;)

I haven't gotten a straight answer about why he needs everything hooked up at once and what the actual components are if I remember correctly.

At any rate, my suggestion was a budget receiver (with 5.1 analog input to hook up his X-Fi) and then get a few input switches to take care of his unique needs... and if he wants to, he could hook his old receiver (that has some issues for the audio portion I think) and use that as a switch for some of the inputs. (I think the receiver might be ok except for an amp problem?)
 

imported_goku

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2004
7,613
3
0
Originally posted by: EvilYoda
Originally posted by: YOyoYOhowsDAjello
Originally posted by: goku
6 component inputs, 6 S-Video/composite inputs, 4 or more optical inputs, 3 digital coaxial inputs, some stereo audio inputs, yeah...

And then plugging in to a $300 set of speakers :p

Don't forget that part ;)

Seriously, wtf...how on earth do you need that many inputs.

The real question is, how on earth could anyone on this forum NOT need that many inputs? I don't even have a laser disc, LP, or anything like that at all and I'd still need this many inputs..
 

Old Hippie

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2005
6,361
1
0
6 component inputs, 6 S-Video/composite inputs, 4 or more optical inputs, 3 digital coaxial inputs, some stereo audio inputs, yeah...
Wow, That's gonna be a tough bill to fill at a reasonable price. You might have to go with a preamp and a switcher....or two.
I've had one of those 6-ways-from-Hell setups and had to have a little laminated reference card to help me along.
Good Luck!
 
Jun 19, 2004
10,861
1
81
Originally posted by: MS Dawn
That's much more than a preamp. Especially if you need YNC level processing etc.

Some receivers do this and have preamp outputs.

I've heard of folks with decent systems retrofitting to HT doing this. Basically they use the preamp outputs to their main amps and use the receiver's speaker outputs for the surrounds and center.

Now getting back to the original idea of using a computer - you would need an a/v switch-router that can control RCA (most are balanced - XLR), optical (TOS Link and again most would be AES-EBU), etc. These products are oriented towards production/studio use and are priced accordingly.

One thing I would recommend against is connecting the preamp output (2V) of a computer soundcard directly to the input of a power amp. If something goes awry your ears, loudspeakers, and amplifier could be damaged.



I love it when you talk dirty.....;)