USDA Choice Ribeye vs USDA Prime NY Strip

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

USDA Choice Ribeye vs USDA Prime NY Strip?

• Choice Ribeye

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Prime NY Strip

Votes: 8 20.5%

• Total voters

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I'm just curious what people would choose. I think it's a tough choice. I would normally just buy both but at this time I'm kind of limited with fridge space and might not have the time to eat both.

But what if you pick one today and the other one next time? It's not like this will be the last steak they ever order...

Guess this question makes since for those only order the same cut every time...

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
But what if you pick one today and the other one next time? It's not like this will be the last steak they ever order...

Guess this question makes since for those only order the same cut every time...
Because it's not always easy to find Certified Black Angus especially in prime grades at discount supermarkets. And while it's easy to find IBP, National Beef, and Swift beef, WR Reserve is harder to find and not always available. And if it's available, it might not be ribeye. It might be Inside Round or other cuts of beef other than steaks. And if you buy cyrovac package, you're going to be eating the same cut multiple times.

echo4747

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2005
There really isn't such thing as correctly graded prime NY Strip. The entire cow is graded based on the ribeye. So if the ribeye grades prime, then the entire cow grades prime. So you can end up with choice grade strip that's better than prime strip. Same thing with brisket and other meats. The only thing I've found consistent other than the ribeye grading is if the beef is Certified Premium Black Angus. I've had great luck with every certified Black Angus beef.

I'm just curious what people would choose. I think it's a tough choice. I would normally just buy both but at this time I'm kind of limited with fridge space and might not have the time to eat both.

Thanks for that info.. I suppose a choice grade strip could be better than prime strip but wouldnt that be a fairly rare exception? I would tend to think if the cows ribeye grades prime the rest of the cuts would mostly likely be of better quality as well

Reactions: lsd

echo4747

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2005
Because it's not always easy to find Certified Black Angus especially in prime grades at discount supermarkets. And while it's easy to find IBP, National Beef, and Swift beef, WR Reserve is harder to find and not always available. And if it's available, it might not be ribeye. It might be Inside Round or other cuts of beef other than steaks. And if you buy cyrovac package, you're going to be eating the same cut multiple times.
I dont think I've ever seen prime certified black angus ribeye for sale near me . I feel the upper /top end restaurants probably get the first chance to purchase it .

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Thanks for that info.. I suppose a choice grade strip could be better than prime strip but wouldnt that be a fairly rare exception? I would tend to think if the cows ribeye grades prime the rest of the cuts would mostly likely be of better quality as well
Normally that's the case. Prime grade is normally good or better than choice grade for all cuts. But I've seen exceptions and which is why I focus more on the type of cattle and who processed it. I'm big fan of Black Angus and vastly prefer grain fed/finished over grass fed. People who pay premium for grass fed beef over grain fed are crazy.

I dont think I've ever seen prime certified black angus ribeye for sale near me . I feel the upper /top end restaurants probably get the first chance to purchase it .
It's not that easy to find at discount wholesalers like Costco, Sam's, and Restaurant Depot. I regularly go to Costco Business Center and look through all their meats. Business Center only sells cyrovac subprimal by single or case. Pretty much everything is Excel, IBP, National Beef, and Swift. But occasionally I'll see Black Angus from small regional farm or processor. I'm still looking for Certified Premium Black Angus prime brisket at Costco. I haven't found one yet and I've looked through hundreds of prime packers. But I know it exists because others have scored one at Costco. That's my unicorn other than Wagyu brisket which I won't pay for.

If you're willing to pay premium and order online, it's super easy to buy premium Black Angus prime ribeye. Creekstone Farms sells it. https://www.creekstonefarms.com/pages/our-products
They just had 50% sale on the Angus prime ribeyes. I have some of their Black Angus USDA Prime short ribs in the fridge.

lsd

Golden Member
Sep 26, 2000
Who the hell voted NY Strip? Ribeye is distinctly different.

I get an amazing cut of ribeye from my grocer at $10/lb. Good marbling too.
Agreed. Heck I'd take chuck eye over prime NY strip.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I look at the high priced cuts of beef and roll my eyes. They are generally marbled with a lot of fat. That may make them tasty, I don't know because I don't buy them. The fat is enough to make me pass them up. I buy the leanest cheap cuts of beef I can find, trim off all the fat that's reasonably easy to remove and them cook them tender by boiling in a pressure cooker (with other ingredients).

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
How is it being cooked? It is grilled I want the ribeye. If it's sous vide I want the strip. I typically sous vide to 129 or 130 and finish in smoking hot cast iron pan or on a cast iron gate over my charcoal chimney. At those temperatures the sous vide doesn't get fat hot enough to really render and the finish sear is so short that the fat doesn't cook much. So for that I want a generally leaner cut like strip. If I'm grilling from start to finish, at 500 or so, then I want a cut with a bit more fat like ribeye.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Ribeye. Everytime I get adventurist and order a NY strip or a t-bone at a steakhouse I always leave disappointed.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I dont know enough to be sure Im making the "right" choice, but, I'd go for the ribeye :)