USDA allows a mixture as low as 40% beef to be labeled as beef. Holy fast food Batman!

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

Over the past week, the fast food restaurant chain Taco Bell was sued for claiming that the taco mixture used in their products was actually beef. According to USDA standards, a beef mixture served by businesses must contain at least 40% beef in ordered to be labeled as such, and the lawsuit alleges (with some evidence) that their taco mixture only contains 36% beef, not the 88% beef that they claim.

Taco Bell themselves list ingredients in their “meat filling products” that include “water, isolated oat product, wheat oats, maltodrextrin, soy lecithin, maltodrextrin, anti-dusting agent, autolyzed yeast extract, modified corn starch, sodium phosphate and silicon dioxide.”
Silicon dioxide?

hm.. does McD still say 100% beef?

Reactions: Torn Mind

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Silicon dioxide is actually the one chemical with no effect when consumed.

It's the same molecule as glass but not damaging in powder form.

Now, folks often pay a premium for food-grade diatomaceous earth for its purported health benefits, which is naturally formed silicon dioxide.

The plant huggers can actually rejoice that the beef is "plant-based". (oat, soy, corn malt- products come from grains)

The sodium phosphate is actually a problem, as the free phosphate gets taken up and then may be a risk to people with kidney problems and cardiovascular disease. Might be part of the reason "processed" meats are so bad. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3278747/

Oh, and I loved those beefy 5-layer burritos, that gave the most ingredients per dollar.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
The case apparently was resolved in 2011 with more "transparency" from Taco Bell

The European ones had an issue with horse meat tainting the beef.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
ok but then how are they able to make 7 quarter pounders from 1 lb of beef?!
ice weighs that much?

and since they went from frozen to fresh beef since 2018, are they still able to make 7 quarter pounders from 1lb of beef?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Has anyone actually enjoyed eating Taco Bell?

Speaking of Beef though, Wendy's has the beefiest tasting Beef of any Burger Chain, IMO. I prefer other Burgers, but when I eat Wendy's that Beef flavour is right out in front and strong, rather than buried in Stuff. They even add all that Stuff, it's just that their patties have been made with Breeder Bull meat or something. Bonk some Hefers or regularly get hooked up to a modified Milking machine, then die and end up in a Wendy's burger. Almost doesn't seem cruel...

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I am shocked to learn that Taco Bell is not using a high quality meat product. Who could have imagined that?!

1am drunk me will continue to not care and ask to be taken to Taco Bell for food

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Visit Canada or Mexico it is sold there.
Unfortunately that's correct about a Canadian industry.More than 25,000 are slaughtered annually. Some of the product is frozen and exported, mainly to Japan, France and the U.S. So americans eat this stuff as well.
The worst part arises concerning the meat that is exported where the horses are shipped by air live to be fattened somewhere first then sent on to the importing country for slaughter.

Last edited:

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
That orange greasy Taco Bell beef is gross, I don't know how people like that. It reminds me of the beef they used to load under the cheese in these disgusting square slices of pizza they served in my school cafeteria when I was a kid. And then Taco Bell's tortillas taste like bread. I don't get the appeal.

Reactions: Captante

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Unfortunately that's correct about a Canadian industry.More than 25,000 are slaughtered annually. Some of the product is frozen and exported, mainly to Japan, France and the U.S. So americans eat this stuff as well.
The worst part arises concerning the meat that is exported where the horses are shipped by air live to be fattened somewhere first then sent on to the importing country for slaughter.

Strange I have never seen it offered in the USA since about 2005 or so.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

I'm sure some do .... pretty sure the majority ends up as dog food though.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
So about the same as gold, 10k = 41.7% is the threshold of gold that has to be in gold to be called gold by goldsmiths.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
So about the same as gold, 10k = 41.7% is the threshold of gold that has to be in gold to be called gold by goldsmiths.
That's why you talk to a chemist. AU is gold. AU + stuff is an alloy, or a contaminated sample of AU. Just like this meat.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
The case apparently was resolved in 2011 with more "transparency" from Taco Bell
I remember that, they did a promo for 88 cent tacos or something to celebrate.
Has anyone actually enjoyed eating Taco Bell?

Speaking of Beef though, Wendy's has the beefiest tasting Beef of any Burger Chain, IMO. I prefer other Burgers, but when I eat Wendy's that Beef flavour is right out in front and strong, rather than buried in Stuff. They even add all that Stuff, it's just that their patties have been made with Breeder Bull meat or something. Bonk some Hefers or regularly get hooked up to a modified Milking machine, then die and end up in a Wendy's burger. Almost doesn't seem cruel...
Yes, I've enjoyed eating at Taco Bell for over 20 years.
That orange greasy Taco Bell beef is gross, I don't know how people like that. It reminds me of the beef they used to load under the cheese in these disgusting square slices of pizza they served in my school cafeteria when I was a kid. And then Taco Bell's tortillas taste like bread. I don't get the appeal.
When I make tacos at home, there's still orange grease ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I don't use the TB seasoning either. Normally El Paso, and then I add a crap ton more smoked paprika and chipotle powder.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I'm not really a fan of Taco Bell. I'd much rather have Taco Time... (maybe...different franchises = different foods.)

Anyway, I've eaten a wide variety of meat over the years. Horse, donkey, mule, dog, as well as some...things I'd rather not think about now. If you're hungry...meat's meat.

BUT, if the thought of eating less than 100% beef bothers you...you're gonna LOVE this:

• Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Beef's always better seasoned anyway...that's why societies everywhere do something to it to make it taste better. Herbs, spices, coatings in starches, various cooking techniques, ketchup, etc. Meal-wise, 100% beef will not do.
Well, unless it's rare, raw, or medium-rare steak where you can taste the blood. Makes me :p.

rmacd02

Nov 24, 2015
I'm not really a fan of Taco Bell. I'd much rather have Taco Time... (maybe...different franchises = different foods.)

Anyway, I've eaten a wide variety of meat over the years. Horse, donkey, mule, dog, as well as some...things I'd rather not think about now. If you're hungry...meat's meat.

BUT, if the thought of eating less than 100% beef bothers you...you're gonna LOVE this:

I remember my dad telling me about how many fruit fly parts were allowed in orange juice back in 1978. I got over it in a about a month. Oddly enough I avoided yoghurt for about a year, after reading active bacteria cultures in the ingredients. Lol

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Beef's always better seasoned anyway...that's why societies everywhere do something to it to make it taste better. Herbs, spices, coatings in starches, various cooking techniques, ketchup, etc. Meal-wise, 100% beef will not do.
Well, unless it's rare, raw, or medium-rare steak where you can taste the blood. Makes me :p.

Not blood, it's myoglobin.