USB Mouse won't wake up laptop

blazeboss

Sep 25, 2013
I have an Asus Q400A laptop purchased last November with windows 8 and an i7 processor. I recently purchased some peripherals to make it more like a desktop: external monitors, Logitech k810 Bluetooth keyboard, and Logitech m510 wireless mouse. When my laptop falls asleep, I have no way of waking it up, as it is under my bed and my keyboard and mouse won't wake it up. I have read that Bluetooth devices won't wake computers up, but my mouse should. I have the Logitech unifying receiver plugged into a USB port on my laptop. The device settings are set to allow wake up from device. I have uninstalled both asus deep sleep and asus USB smart charger. My bios has no settings for wake up from USB devices, and I even updated my bios and it still doesn't have settings for that. I tried a friend's wired mouse, and that woke my computer up when it was clicked. Please help!

Automaticman

Sep 3, 2009
I have the same issue with my Asus desktop, their USB ports totally shut off when asleep. Gigabyte powers their USB ports even when shut down, so I had always thought that was normal, but I have to use my case power switch to wake up from sleep every time.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think this is pretty common. On my Compaq laptop, I have to use the touchpad or keyboard to wake up the machine once it goes beyond the screen saver.

I have the same issue with my Asus desktop, their USB ports totally shut off when asleep. Gigabyte powers their USB ports even when shut down, so I had always thought that was normal, but I have to use my case power switch to wake up from sleep every time.

Rather than hitting the case power switch, just try tapping the touchpad or a key on your keyboard.

Last edited:

windowsphone

Sep 25, 2013
Ah, this is a really annoying problem. My roommate had this problem, and ended up with a pretty weird solution.

Since the laptop will wake up from a wired USB mouse, he bought a new wired mouse, and left it plugged in. Then he ran the mouse to under his desk, and set it up so that he could click it with his foot.

The end result was a surprisingly easy way to wake up the computer! Try it out!

Automaticman

Sep 3, 2009
I think this is pretty common. On my Compaq laptop, I have to use the touchpad or keyboard to wake up the machine once it goes beyond the screen saver.

Rather than hitting the case power switch, just try tapping the touchpad or a key on your keyboard.

Yeah even my usb keyboard won't wake it up once it's in S3 sleep. Only motherboard I've had that acted this way, but it's also my first Asus while the rest have been Gigabyte.

Again though, this is a desktop with an Asus mobo, while the OP has an Asus notebook. I expect the keyboard would wake up the laptop, but the USB ports most likely behave the same way they do on my motherboard.

Last edited:

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
A quick update on my laptop - I forgot to include that the USB mouse I use with my laptop is wireless. I havent tested it with a wired USB mouse, but I also use a wired external USB keyboard that does wake it up.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
...... The device settings are set to allow wake up from device. I have uninstalled both asus deep sleep and asus USB smart charger. My bios has no settings for wake up from USB devices, and I even updated my bios and it still doesn't have settings for that. I tried a friend's wired mouse, and that woke my computer up when it was clicked. Please help!

Is the device settings you mentioned the power management tab under device properties in device manager?
Maybe you'll have to poke around in power options, theres settings tabs for wireless adapter and usb. I have mine set to medium and selective suspend enabled respectively (and sleep on my pc works), or maybe you have to back off abit on those sleep options and try it out.