USB Memory Stick Question

Estam

Sep 27, 2007
If someone could suggest something before I throw this away.

I have an 8 gig Medion memory stick and I inadvertently removed it without using the removal procedure.

Now what use to take seconds now takes minutes. My concern is that it has many drivers and written procedures that I would like to copy off but it wont allow me to do much.

Accessing the stick shows the directory after a minute and shows the files but trying to copy then to my laptop just sits there and every now and again gives a time out notice which I can choose to "Cancel, Try Again or Continue". Sometime using the continue option a few times I can get one file copied but that is about it.

Suggestions please.....

Estam

Sep 27, 2007
Forgot to mention that I'm using XP and a fairly fast Dell machine.

Is there a cloning software that would ignore the time out situation.

Last edited:

Estam

Sep 27, 2007
Great info,

they could all read the file information but any recovery and back up just stood there, got to 2% and just timed out.
easeus said they could repair but $69... to find it doesn't hmm.

I will look tomorrow for something that can repair and prove it before coughing up big bucks.

Thanks guys, .....and bruce :)

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Sorry for your probable loss.

Just a suggestion, but it's good to have at least _2_ USB sticks and alternate between them. Plus a USB hard drive. And cloud storage.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Did you try running: chkdsk x:/f from a command prompt, where "x" is the thumb drive's letter?
Or: if a 64-bit O.S. PC (running Windows 7/8/10) is available, try the same with that newer machine.
If that fails, there's "Zero Assumption Recovery" software that may be able to at least copy the data to another storage media.
It could also simply be a problem with that particular PC, so try accessing the USB thumb drive with another machine.

Last edited:

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Look for San Disk Rescue Pro (you can find an old free version with Google) or try: PIC Inspector File Recovery

Estam

Sep 27, 2007
Thanks for your help all,

I've had a bit of a cold for the last few days but I haven't given up yet!

I am going to try those programs just suggested.

The memory stick is on my desk together with a large hammer.

BTW I do copy my sticks to 2 of my larger computers but I don't do
it as regular as I should but you live and learn......

Later,

Estam

Sep 27, 2007
I have downloaded a couple of programs that scan the device and say they can fix it but all they want is the money. Then if it doesn't fix it -your out the money.

Trying to download an earlier version of anything you are putting your computer in someone else's hands as many are from dubious sites and are scams.

My problem isn't so much of recovery but repair. This stick seems shot although when exploring the files seem intact and present. -Trying to copy off one file it shows it copying and after a couple of minutes it "times out" and only a partial amount of the file is copied.

It's tough to right off the stick when it shows all the files present. I am unable just to throw money at the wall to find out these programs wont work on this device.

I will really appreciate and help here or point me to a trusted site that I can download a repair tool. Please understand, like everyone here, I don't want something for nothing, just don't want nothing for something.

Many thanks,
Dave...