USB Intellimouse Explorer optical locks up, works fine when unplugged/replugged

Dan2

Jun 7, 2000
I talked to my friends and three of them have experienced this problem. I'm wondering if anyone here has seen it too.

I have Windows XP Pro, an ASUS A7V133 motherboard w/ Athlon 850 tbird, and an IntelliMouse Explorer Optical (USB). Every now and then I can go for several hours without problems, but sometimes the mouse locks up. Sometimes it happens within 1 second of the last mouse lockup too. The keyboard still works and if I unplug/replug the USB it works fine again, for random amounts of time. I can usually recreate the problem by swirling the mouse in circles or grabbing the cord and yanking it (randomly).

Think it's a loose wire on the cord or something? This is driving me insane. I've tried bios updates, new drivers, and even reinstalling Windows. Nothing has worked yet.

stevewm

Dec 6, 2001
Try plugging the mouse into the PS/2 Mouse port using the adapter supplied. Does the problem still occur then?

Dan2

Jun 7, 2000
I tried to find the adapter, but have no idea where it's at.

I looked through my closet and found an old intellimouse pro. I'll use this for now I guess.

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
Have you tried loading the Via USB Filter Driver? Known problems with Via USB UHC's.....Might fix it