Question USB 3.0 PCIe card with VL805 chipset - problem with output voltage

AlKwas

Mar 28, 2020
Hello,
I have no-name 4 port USB 3.0 PCIe card with VL805 chipset. There is a problem with output voltage on Windows 7 and linux. The card is recognized by OS and works, but with external powered units only. There's no 5V at the ports. The drivers and firmware be VIA-Labs are updated. Any idea?
AlKwas

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
Does that card have a cable or connector that is used to supply the card with power from the PSU? It would use either a SATA power output or a 4-pin Molex output from PSU. If so, you MUST connect that power supply, so did you do that?

The PCIe bus design never was meant to supply a lot of power from the 5VDC lines to a card - just enough to run most cards. BUT a USB3 card must be able to meet its own internal needs as well as provide 5 VDC at up to 0.9 A from EACH of its output ports. For your card, that's 3.6 A for the ports, plus the card needs.

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
OK, so that's s clue. Have you checked in Device Manager to verify that the card's correct driver is installed and functioning with no problems?

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
Yes, I have, of course.

If you still have the card, check the PC board where the molex is soldered onto it. The connections are fragile and easily damaged, and sometimes not well soldered. You may be able to fix it by touching up with a solder iron.

I push the molex connectors together before installing the card. Use a pair of pliers. This way, no forces are aplied to the pins and solder pads on the board.