USB 3.0 on case front

CDC Mail Guy

Golden Member
May 2, 2005
Good morning :)

My new case (Corsair Carbide Series 200R) has a front USB 3.0 connector like this

My new motherboard (ASRock 960GM/U3S3) does NOT have a USB 3.0 port like this to connect it to. I understand there is a workaround for this via some sort of adapter ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812201039 , but from what I understand, it will make the ports USB 2.

Is there any other way to get 3.0 to the front of the case?

Thank you in advance :)

CDC Mail Guy

Golden Member
May 2, 2005
Ugh...yeah, the ONE 1x PCI-E slot is free. I planned on putting a wireless card there, but will have to use either USB or the PCI slot for an internal wireless card there.

Thank you for reply.

Feb 25, 2011
What are you plugging into the front of the case that needs USB3 speeds? The two on the back of the mobo should be enough for an external HD or two. Thumb drives and stuff hardly matter.
You're not one of those guys who carries an external USB SSD everywhere are you?

shabby

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
What are you plugging into the front of the case that needs USB3 speeds? ... Thumb drives and stuff hardly matter.

Thumb drives, what else?
Who wants to reach in the back of the abyss with a flash light to find the usb3 port?

May 27, 2008
Well, I just have a USB extension cable taped to the top of my desk. It may look ghetto, but it works.

But I know what the OP is thinking. He has USB3 connectors on the front of the case and they should work damn it! My motherboard doesn't have a fire wire connector. And I used to feel that way about the stupid fire wire connector that my case has. But I realize that I don't have any fire wire devices and probably never will.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
OP, just watch which card you get. I had a USB3.0 expansion card in for a while, but, like you, I wanted to use the 3.0 plug on the front of my case (with my Z68 board.) Swapping out the cards completely jacked up my computer and data transfer rates.

The original card has a Renesas chipset and driver, the newer card with the internal 3.0 header has a VIA chipset... even though I uninstalled the old driver first, it completely borked my data transfer.

I'm not saying don't do it... I'm just saying be careful.

EDIT: Lucklessgorath linked this Vantec card above, that would be the one I would pick, it has the Renesas chip/driver like my original expansion card... I never had issue one with that card.

Last edited:

CDC Mail Guy

Golden Member
May 2, 2005
EDIT: Lucklessgorath linked this Vantec card above, that would be the one I would pick, it has the Renesas chip/driver like my original expansion card... I never had issue one with that card.

Ordered!!!

Thank you all for the replies.

I know there are "cheaper" ways to get USB 2 to the front of the case, but it would only work for one of the 2 ports.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Ordered!!!

Thank you all for the replies.

I know there are "cheaper" ways to get USB 2 to the front of the case, but it would only work for one of the 2 ports.

FWIW, I have that Vantec card in my NAS so I can get USB3.0 speeds to the USB3.0 Ext HD that I use to backup the NAS. It works perfectly on my Supermicro MB/Xeon/Windows 7 Pro setup. Installed correctly the first time, no hiccups. Be sure to install the driver for the card. Mine came with a mini-CD, but the manuf's website had a newer version of the driver, which I did use.

Good choice and good luck!