USB 2

meaty

Banned
Jan 27, 2000
With a couple mobo's supporting usb2, is there any good usb2 periphs out there atm?

ojai00

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2001
Not yet...the only peripherals that I've heard of are External CD-RWs and Hard drives. But I'm not sure if they're out yet.

crypticlogin

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2001
I think basically anything that had USB1 support will have a USB2 counterpart. There are already a slew of USB2 CDRW drives on the market (I really love the sleekness of the Plextor, the silvered one, not the bulky one) and you'll probably have some MP3 devices within the next few months. Digicams?

MiamiJones

Jul 2, 2001
disgust;:eek::(:eek::disgust::D:|:Q:p:cool::frown::confused::frown::cool::p:Q:|:D:disgust::eek::(;):(:eek::disgust::D:|:Q:p:cool::frdisgust;:eek::(:eek::disgust::D:|:Q:p:cool::frown::confused::frown::cool::p:Q:|:D:disgust::eek::(;):(:eek::disgust::D:|:Q:p:cool::frdisgust;:eek::(:eek::disgust::D:|:Q:p:cool::frown::confused::frown::cool::p:Q:|:D:disgust::eek::(;):(:eek::disgust::D:|:Q:p:cool::frdisgust;:eek::(:eek::disgust::D:|:Q:p:cool::frown::confused::frown::cool::p:Q:|:D:disgust::eek::(;):(:eek::disgust::D:|:Q:p:cool::fr

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
meaty, like ojai00 said, so far I too have only seen ext. CD-RW's and ext. HD's. I've seen ext. CD-RW's at my local Stapes store that is USB 2.0, it's made by Pacific Digital.

tmung

May 2, 2001
Plenty of External HDs and CD-RWs widely available (think CompUSA). Also, if you're familiar with the Archos Jukebox their latest model (not sure if it's available yet) is a voice recording version of their Studio20 model AND IS USB 2.0 compatible. Good stuff. As for mice, gamepads, joysticks, etc. I wouldn't really expect to see many/any that use 2.0, they just don't really need it. Maybe some of the higher end optical mice just for the higher refresh rate possibilities.

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
actually, there is no need to have a 2.0 counter part to every 1.1

i think mice and keyboards work fine at 1.1 ;-)

anyway, 2.0 is backwards compatible with 1.1 anyway.

There is ONE BIG PROBLEM WITH USB2.0 right now... DRIVER SUPPORT. The w2k usb2.0 drivers are done, so are the winXP ones.. by microsoft that is. HOWEVER, MS will NOT upgrade win98se or below to USB2.0, and cheap-no-name USB2.0 controllers dont come with drivers. So...

HOWEVER, adaptec, orangemicro and other controller manufacturers do have drivers, for win98, and win2k, and winXP (sorta, its a long story). =)

Compusa has a sale on a 40GB USB2.0 HDD, with an offer for a free adaptec usb2.0 controller (the older 4 port model, adaptec has a 6 port model now), I AM GETTING IT. You pay some $200 out of pocket, and there is a buttload of rebates.

I have a usb2.0 burner, from last week's compusa sale.

meaty

Banned
Jan 27, 2000
ooo, that scanner sounds interesting:)

Also would a usb2 16xCDR be faster then 16xIDE?
Not sure on the data rate for usb2.

DaFinn

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Meaty,

16x connected to USB2 or 16x connected to IDE is still 16x.. ie. they work as fast in both cases, neither will use the full capacity usb2 or ide.