USA loses an atomic bomb and can't find it

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Meh. I'm not really worried if it goes off somehow or just becomes a dirty bomb. If it happens, then it happens. Ya, this is a bad attitude, but if you have to worry about the bomb under the sea, then there's a lot of other things to be paranoid over first. Reminds me of someone I know who's a pussy (sorry, there's just no other word) and is worrying about a couple people flying United Airlines.

WingZero94

Golden Member
Mar 20, 2002
September 20, 1980
A technician dropping a wrench and breaking a fuel tank causes an explosion in the silo of a Titan II Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile. The explosion blows off the 740-ton door and sends the re-entry vehicle with its 9-megaton warhead 600 feet into the air, killing one man and injuring 21 others.

That would have been cool to see ..... (from a distance)

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
Pretty cool how safe the bombs are though, considering one hasn't accidentally exploded yet, that I know of...

I seem to recall that they weren't sure if the bomb dropped on Hiroshima might explode the instant the technician fully assembled it in the plane just before dropping it. :Q I don't think it really had any significant safety mechanism other than transporting it with an essential component missing.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: everman
Pretty cool how safe the bombs are though, considering one hasn't accidentally exploded yet, that I know of...

I seem to recall that they weren't sure if the bomb dropped on Hiroshima might explode the instant the technician fully assembled it in the plane just before dropping it. :Q I don't think it really had any significant safety mechanism other than transporting it with an essential component missing.

There was significant concern about the risks of taking of from the airfield on Tinian. Several B29s had crashed and burned at the end of the runway due equipment problems and the geography of the island.

Theoretically if either the of the weapons (when fully assembled) had suffered this fate they could have gone off destroying the installation/weapon. To prevent this the explosives required to trigger Little Boy were not installed until airborne and the same with the plutonium core of Fat Man.