US violent crime up in 2005

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Link

As you can see from the article, violent crimes overall were up in the US this past year. 1.4 million violent crimes were reported; 3.9% rise in robbery, 3.4% rise in murders, 1.8% rise in aggrivated assault and 1.2% decline in rape.

While crime rates in cities are trending down, smaller and medium sized cities are on the rise. Some are suggesting police forces are being brushed aside for work related to terrorism.

Why are we seeing these crime increases?

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I heard about this on the radio this morning.

I know where I am from every year the police department just gets worse and worse, I think it is completely because of the poor leadership. Also, they never investigate anything. My Brother's car was stolen, they told him they would not look for it, then when it was found, totaled, it had all kinds of crap the kids left it in, but the police made no investigation, not even dusting for prints. My Brother even told them what apartment he thought the kids were form and what they looked like, but they didn't car. This is why Tulsa has about the stolen car rate as LA. The police act like this one pretty much all cases, from what I've seen/heard.

Better not be caught going 7 over the speed limit, though.

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Investigations requires taking a cop away from giving tickets...that's not a good way to run a business. :p

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Why are we seeing these crime increases?

While I don't discount the possibility that anti-terrorism projects may influence the numbers, the article doesn't mention what the standard deviation is so this increase may just be statistical noise.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Originally posted by: Stunt
Investigations requires taking a cop away from giving tickets...that's not a good way to run a business. :p

True which is a fundamental problem with cities being allowed to fill their coffers with ticket money -- Not that I am against ticketing, I just think a lot of cities probably focus on giving tickets much more than actually stopping crime.

tommywishbone

Platinum Member
May 11, 2005
Simple class division people. When the Have-nots have even less than the Haves then they've had in the past, they try anything to get it. Violent crime usually does the job. Fairly predictable if you ask me.

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
Why the crime increases? Who knows, probably just some random variation...

jrenz

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Originally posted by: Zorba
Originally posted by: Stunt

True which is a fundamental problem with cities being allowed to fill their coffers with ticket money -- Not that I am against ticketing, I just think a lot of cities probably focus on giving tickets much more than actually stopping crime.

You do realize that *detectives* investigate crimes like these... while street cops write tickets... right?