US Version of Democracy is BROKEN, can it be fixed?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
There is nothing wrong with the form of government we have. The problem is that the American society is broken.

Remember we get the government we deserve in a democratic Republic form of government.

It is not, repeat, NOT the form of government that is broken. It is the people that are broken. I would give examples but you all know what I am right. Sad, isn't it?

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2006
here is nothing wrong with the form of government we have. The problem is that the American society is broken.

Remember we get the government we deserve in a democratic Republic form of government.

It is not, repeat, NOT the form of government that is broken. It is the people that are broken. I would give examples but you all know what I am right. Sad, isn't it?

Yeah, people like you keep breaking shit...

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
You contradict yourself.

A non-broken system would be able to withstand "tinkering" without failing.

There is no system

It is people, has been people, always will be people making decisions good and bad affecting other people who hide behind an abstraction called the system so they may wash their hands clean of their mess.

The system is broken is just an excuse to do unto others the very things one wouldn't want done to themselves.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
The state of Nevada has that on their ballots now. The problem is there is no consequence to "None of the Above" getting any votes or even winning the vote.

My idea is that if "none" wins the candidates are gone. Period. Elections will be held say, monthly until a body wins. It will be hell for parties until they get smart. I'm not interested in their plight.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
There is no system

It is people, has been people, always will be people making decisions good and bad affecting other people who hide behind an abstraction called the system so they may wash their hands clean of their mess.

The system is broken is just an excuse to do unto others the very things one wouldn't want done to themselves.

That is a weak and pointless argument.

I posit that a system could be made which doesn't ALLOW people to make decisions that cause bad for the majority of other people. People respond to incentives.

A good system encourages good behavior and good rules and laws, a broken system does not. We currently have a broken system.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
My idea is that if "none" wins the candidates are gone. Period. Elections will be held say, monthly until a body wins. It will be hell for parties until they get smart. I'm not interested in their plight.

I totally agree and wish your plan was instituted nation way.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Problem is people get all frustrated and say stupid things, over generalize and in the end become members of the disgruntled disenfranchised masses.

Rarely voting, they try to tune out politics as much as possible except when they emerge from their bubbles to enlighten those who still toil under the notion that politics can in some way be relevant by spouting more stupid generalities.

Because the way to fix it in 'the real world' is just too much work.

Become a Libertarian or a Green and work your ass off if you really feel that the system isn't working. That is where the reform will come from and there are many people already working for it.