US terror watch catches another one.

tomywishbone

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2006
We've offically lost our minds, again.

Terrorist

Running club members face felony charges By CARA RUBINSKY, Associated Press Writer, Sat Aug 25, 6:19 PM ET

NEW HAVEN, Conn. - Two people who sprinkled flour in a parking lot to mark a trail for their offbeat running club inadvertently caused a bioterrorism scare and now face a felony charge. The sprinkled powder forced hundreds to evacuate an IKEA furniture store Thursday.

New Haven ophthalmologist Daniel Salchow, 36, and his sister, Dorothee, 31, who is visiting from Hamburg, Germany, were both charged with first-degree breach of peace, a felony.

The siblings set off the scare while organizing a run for a local chapter of the Hash House Harriers, a worldwide group that bills itself as a "drinking club with a running problem."

"Hares" are given the task of marking a trail to direct runners, throwing in some dead ends and forks as challenges. On Thursday, the Salchows decided to route runners through the massive IKEA parking lot.

Police fielded a call just before 5 p.m. that someone was sprinkling powder on the ground. The store was evacuated and remained closed the rest of the night. The incident prompted a massive response from police in New Haven and surrounding towns.

Daniel Salchow biked back to IKEA when he heard there was a problem and told officers the powder was just harmless flour, which he said he and his sister have sprinkled everywhere from New York to California without incident.

"Not in my wildest dreams did I ever anticipate anything like that," he said.

Mayoral spokeswoman Jessica Mayorga said the city plans to seek restitution from the Salchows, who are due in court Sept. 14.

"You see powder connected by arrows and chalk, you never know," she said. "It could be a terrorist, it could be something more serious. We're thankful it wasn't, but there were a lot of resources that went into figuring that out."

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Its so a reassuring to see a flouring of human paranoia in action as the war on terror goes international. Arrest the Pillbury doughboy and place the rascal in solitary confinement.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
absolutely ridiculous... I read about this deep inside of the WashTimes this morning. I seriously hope the national media picks this up and ensures that the siblings involved get cleared on all charges. They should also fire the moron who decided to file charges in the first place!

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
I'm confused on why they used flour out of all things to mark a trail. That stuff just gets blown away... if they already had chalk why didn't they just keep on using that?

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Originally posted by: tomywishbone
We've offically lost our minds, again.

Terrorist

Running club members face felony charges By CARA RUBINSKY, Associated Press Writer, Sat Aug 25, 6:19 PM ET

NEW HAVEN, Conn. - Two people who sprinkled flour in a parking lot to mark a trail for their offbeat running club inadvertently caused a bioterrorism scare and now face a felony charge. The sprinkled powder forced hundreds to evacuate an IKEA furniture store Thursday.

New Haven ophthalmologist Daniel Salchow, 36, and his sister, Dorothee, 31, who is visiting from Hamburg, Germany, were both charged with first-degree breach of peace, a felony.

The siblings set off the scare while organizing a run for a local chapter of the Hash House Harriers, a worldwide group that bills itself as a "drinking club with a running problem."

"Hares" are given the task of marking a trail to direct runners, throwing in some dead ends and forks as challenges. On Thursday, the Salchows decided to route runners through the massive IKEA parking lot.

Police fielded a call just before 5 p.m. that someone was sprinkling powder on the ground. The store was evacuated and remained closed the rest of the night. The incident prompted a massive response from police in New Haven and surrounding towns.

Daniel Salchow biked back to IKEA when he heard there was a problem and told officers the powder was just harmless flour, which he said he and his sister have sprinkled everywhere from New York to California without incident.

"Not in my wildest dreams did I ever anticipate anything like that," he said.

Mayoral spokeswoman Jessica Mayorga said the city plans to seek restitution from the Salchows, who are due in court Sept. 14.

"You see powder connected by arrows and chalk, you never know," she said. "It could be a terrorist, it could be something more serious. We're thankful it wasn't, but there were a lot of resources that went into figuring that out."

Another example of officials operating at the Bush level of competence (statement or question) . or ? Pick the one closer to the truth.

mfs378

May 19, 2003

What's more serious than a terrorist?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Seek restitution from them how?

Terrists are labeled "Enemy Combatants" and sent to Gitmo so how can they get restitution from these Flour Terrists???

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

Seek restitution from them how?

Terrists are labeled "Enemy Combatants" and sent to Gitmo so how can they get restitution from these Flour Terrists???
I guess you must know about the super-secret list of one million Americans who have been whisked away to Gitmo in the dead of night...

no?

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Reminds me of the big SNAFU the Cartoon Network caused when it put those lite-brite signs with the obscure cartoon characters most people had never seen on them all over the city. Brings new meaning to the phrase "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself." People who are in fear will act in quite an irrational and even seemingly insane manner. I'm more scared of the people who are scared of terrorists than I am of terrorists themselves.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Flour doesn't make much sense to me, either.

While clearly overblown, I think these people are somewhat of idiots. Why not tell IKEA what you're doing to their property? I mean, it is IKEAs parking lot, not their own property.

Edit: Typos

Fern