US soldier throws puppy off cliff

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Icepick

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
Originally posted by: KrispyKreme50
Originally posted by: adlep
Originally posted by: KrispyKreme50
I would think that with violence against humans still prevalent in Iraq one of the last things people should care about is violence toward animals.

It is other way around.

The violence against the animals is a first indicator of a serious and a dangerous mental problems.
The vast majority of the serial killers for example started "playing" with animals at first.

Furthermore,
The animals are like little jewels. They have a short time here on earth before they have to go.
They also have no voice and they love humans unconditionally. There is absolutely no reason to kill them for fun.

Can you show me proof that serial killers started out this way? I'm not saying that you're lying, but it would seem that documentation would exist to prove this if it really were the case.

This isn't exactly a scientific study but, I did see a 20/20 episode where they interviewed the parents of Jeffery Damher and they testified that he used to kill and mutilate small animals out of curiosity when he was a child. This occurred on more than one occasion. I've also heard what adlep stated from other scientific sources in the past. I'll have to do some digging to get you an exact quote.

For your second point, I have to say that plenty of animals get killed everyday by other animals for food. This is the harsh reality of nature, and the time these animals get to spend on earth is even shorter. While animal cruelty should not be condoned, my point here is that your description is an idealistic account of dogs. To me, human life will always be greater than an animal's life, and society should prioritize our limited resources to bring justice to murderers instead of punishing people who engage in animal cruelty.

Animals getting killed by other animals for food isn't bad - it's simply nature propagating itself.

Animals getting killed purely for sport or fun is insane and cruel, IMHO.

As I stated above, I believe that animal cruelty is a sign of a troubled person and of deeper issues lurking below the surface. Let's just say that I wouldn't leave my children alone with someone who I knew took pleasure from torturing defenseless creatures. Would you?

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Wow, 28 pages of posts in 4 days over a puppy being killed inhumanely?

As unfortuante as this incident is I think that the response to this thread says something about our society and it's values. The soilder was in a war zone and did something really stupid. Was it sick? Yes, but it's not earth shattering. I shudder to think of what all the real atrocities of this war are.

Save the counseling for a solider that really needs it.

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
I have not ready the whole thread but if it was real maybe the dog was dead, almost dead, or maybe it attacked someone off camera earlier.

Also as for the torture of animals you may become a serial killers or something. It is just an indicator. What if study showed if you were of a certain race you would be 90% more likely to commit a crime. If policed profiled based on that study everybody would call them a racist and other nice names. Indicators are not always correct. Also I think most kids atleast boys anyway have fried some ants or other insects with a magnifying glass. That is also cruelty, but most kids don't grow up to be killers. Either way torture is wrong.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Agentbolt
Just ignore the fucking thing. Who said anything about carrying it back to his base? They're supposed to just ignore strays out there. Never mind the fact that if that's him, he's trying to pawn off having done it as some kind of "mercy" thing to the dog, instead of just clowning around with his retarded meathead friend.

I really hope it's actually him who replied. He's going to burn for this (Marines are going to make a huge example out of him for PR purposes) and it'll make it easier to find him. It's not going to stop clueless assholes like JohnofSheffield from shooting them on sight, but at least maybe it'll make some inbred hick marine think twice before throwing one off a cliff to let it possibly die slowly from broken bones and internal bleeding.
Just for the record, shooting some dogs in Afghanistan and Iraq may not be pleasant, but it's certainly justifiable and often necessary. There are often packs of sick stray dogs that wander onto our bases, or into nearby villages; and the only solution is to clear them out before they harm the humans in the area.

When I was there, and it came time for "Vector Control," as it is sometimes called, I could personally never bring myself to join the shooters; and nobody I knew downrange actually enjoyed doing so.

That said, the actions of these particular Marines are dispicable and inhumane. Doing what they did, with a lone newborn puppy, was unforgiveable.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Originally posted by: Agentbolt
Just ignore the fucking thing. Who said anything about carrying it back to his base? They're supposed to just ignore strays out there. Never mind the fact that if that's him, he's trying to pawn off having done it as some kind of "mercy" thing to the dog, instead of just clowning around with his retarded meathead friend.

I really hope it's actually him who replied. He's going to burn for this (Marines are going to make a huge example out of him for PR purposes) and it'll make it easier to find him. It's not going to stop clueless assholes like JohnofSheffield from shooting them on sight, but at least maybe it'll make some inbred hick marine think twice before throwing one off a cliff to let it possibly die slowly from broken bones and internal bleeding.
Just for the record, shooting some dogs in Afghanistan and Iraq may not be pleasant, but it's certainly justifiable and often necessary. There are often packs of sick stray dogs that wander onto our bases, or into nearby villages; and the only solution is to clear them out before they harm the humans in the area.

When I was there, and it came time for "Vector Control," as it is sometimes called, I could personally never bring myself to join the shooters; and nobody I knew downrange actually enjoyed doing so.

That said, the actions of these particular Marines are dispicable and inhumane. Doing what they did, with a lone newborn puppy, was unforgiveable.

Well what the hell do you know, eh? You weren't there! You don't understand the pressure! These guys see things! They can't tel lwhat they're doing! It's not their fault if they find tossing puppies off cliffs hysterically funny! You STFU, you hear me!

Wait, you were there and you saw horrible things and you still somehow know the difference between right and wrong and don't make excuses for troops committing atrocities? My bad. :)

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
It's very easy for us to sit in our (safe) chairs thousands of miles away and judge this Marine for what he does (or appears to do) on the video.

While if true I think he should be punished, someone needs to help this guy and give him a psych evaluation ASAP. These soldiers witness attrocities we can't even imagine day after day, and its entirely within the realm of reason that he is severely disturbed.

We also do not know the background of why this behavior is taking place. These guys are in life threatening situations day after day, they are bound to crack under the pressure sooner or later.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
^ Damn!

The video looked completely fake to me. But everybody's freaking out big-time.

Fern

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
What the fuck is going on? The topic moves to P&N and actually becomes somewhat sane? Did the polarity of the Earth switch without me knowing?

"Kill the Marine" comments are down 95%

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by: Fern
^ Damn!

Fern

Didn't you read that the guy admits that its real and he did it????????

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Keep in touch with the situation by contacting the USMC if you want :

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/1131/mortaridz9.jpg

Fwiw, I totally agree with what is said in the email :

"The vast majority of Marines conduct their duties in an honorable manner that brings credit to the Marine Corps and to the United States"

Thumbs up, hopefully they clear this up sooner rather than later. At minimum, it's a PR disaster, and other honorable Marines should not have to suffer a tarnished image just because this fuckup did something incredibly dumb.

Court Martial + Dishonorable Dischage, done. Given the vitriol out there, I'm sure this guy has several severe ass-kickings coming his way over the years.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Analog
^ Damn!

Fern

Didn't you read that the guy admits that its real and he did it????????

Nope, I missed that link I guess.

I'll look for it later. I can't believe he'd confess. And if he did I would 've expected to see it on the news.

The video of the Russian guy jumping off a high-rise building looked more bonafide than that thing.

Fern

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Farang
A couple of years ago I saw a video of a group of Marines dangling a bottle of water out the back of their moving vehicle. A few children chased after it, and one boy was left running for maybe a half mile or so, begging for the bottle. Then a few other kids saw it and ran with him. The Marines were laughing and eventually tossed the bottle, and the kid who had ran the whole time didn't end up getting it. That was funny to them.

But you kill one fucking dog and it actually gets a response. There is much worse stuff going on over there, get over it. That kid probably deals with shit you couldn't imagine and if killing a dog lets him release his stress without killing people, then more power to him. I've never been in that situation and can't say how I would react. What I do know is that situations like I described are worth getting upset about because they ruin the imagine of soldiers in the eyes of Iraqis, this puppy incident only ruins their image for spoiled Americans.

Feel free to post that video.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Ordinarily I would think that the video was horrible. But I just can't find my rage when I see it done by a soldier. These are people that we train to kill other human beings as a reflex action. It is indisputable that many of the people that our soldiers kill are "innocent", yet it's expected that they do so and keep on soldiering. If we train soldiers to dehumanize other human beings, I don't see how we can reasonably expect them to see dogs as something sacred.

Now if someone can prove that he was throwing puppies off of cliffs before he ever signed up for the armed forces, that's a different thing.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: palehorse74
MUST READ: Operation Baghdad Pups!

This is just one example of the many programs in place since roughly 2004. When I was in Afghanistan, there were actually "underground railroads" to get all the proper shots administered, and bring dogs out through Pakistan. I've also heard the same stories of routes from Iraq through Jordan. (In some cases, Army medics and vets would also help out with obtaining and administering the proper shots)

I'd dead serious: if anyone comes across a rescued dog named "Molly," from FOB Ghazni, circa 2005, PLEASE let me know... we tried to get her home back then, and raised more than $2400 in donations to do so, but instead we had to hand her off to a group of 82nd Airborne MP's who came to our FOB just before we rotated home. (Don't worry, the donated money was diverted to another puppy being rescued in Afghanistan - it was all done through a group dedicated to bringing the pups home, similar to Operation Baghdad Pups)

I still have puppy pictures! :)

Anyways, the jarheads in the video linked in the OP should be tossed off the nearest cliff, or shot. They are certainly NOT indicative of the fine men and women I've served with for half of my life.

I've known men who treated dogs and cats like varmints in the civilian world -- usually rural bumpkins who were never close to any of their animals -- but very rarely will you find a soldier who does the same.

My family, and I, are really into dog rescue, so this is an issue that really hits home with me... PLEASE do what you can to get the puppies back to the States, and also do what you can to make sure more people understand that those jarheads are the exception, not the rule...

I know where I will be donating my stimulus check now, was going to pay down some debt but this is a far more noble cause.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
^Nice catch.

I'd guess since it was moved from OT to here that it slipped by.

Fern

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
^Nice catch.

I'd guess since it was moved from OT to here that it slipped by.

Fern
The fact that this topic has 29 pages shows how the rule doesn't seem to be necessary.