US railroad workers vote down proposed contract: A strike could freeze up to 30 percent of cargo shipments!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
update on this....always on the side of the wealthy

Forgive me if I misunderstand all this, but I think the main sticking point to providing paid sick days was staffing problems more than the cost to the company. That does not let the RR's off the hook at all, though. Hire and train more people, you bozos!

Reactions: hal2kilo and KMFJD

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Forgive me if I misunderstand all this, but I think the main sticking point to providing paid sick days was staffing problems more than the cost to the company. That does not let the RR's off the hook at all, though. Hire and train more people, you bozos!

doesn't that mean they are not paying enough to attract workers? Where is this pie in the sky free market economy where wages rise to fill positions?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i'm sure republicans across the country are applauding this

Union Pacific reached sick leave agreements over the weekend with two unions, the National Conference of Firemen and Oilers (NCFO) and the Brotherhood of Railway Carmen (BRC).

UP said the agreements will be effective April 1. They call for the two unions to receive access to up to seven paid days to use for sick leave. The railroad said it would continue to work with other unions to find sick time solutions.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
i'm sure republicans across the country are applauding this

Republicans have been working hard since 1935 to undo all federal worker protection laws so of course they'll be happy to see it. :eek:

Reactions: hal2kilo

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Republicans have been working hard since 1935 to undo all federal worker protection laws so of course they'll be happy to see it. :eek:
Since all of us are completely ignorant of Republican efforts to strengthen worker rights feel free to clue us in.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Since all of us are completely ignorant of Republican efforts to strengthen worker rights feel free to clue us in.
In all seriousness Republicans have stood in the way of all efforts to strengthen worker rights since the Democrats enacted the NLRA of 1935. They also continually try to undo that act and weaken union rights. They've had a hand in watering down all subsequent worker protection acts since that time.

Last edited: