• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

US kills 49 innocent civilians for every 1 terrorist via drone strikes.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
In case anyone actually cares about facts, the Mail article linked by the OP flagrantly misrepresents what is in the Stanford/NYU report.

http://livingunderdrones.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Stanford_NYU_LIVING_UNDER_DRONES.pdf

98% "innocent civilians" is nowhere in this report. It cites numerous statistics from various investigations and media reports. One such report says that only 2% of those killed were militant leaders, while at least 20x more were foot soldiers. Most reports cited in this study show civilian casualty rates around 5-20%.

The report is highly critical of the drone strikes. However, the Mail has lied about its contents. It has to be a lie since the article is 5 days old and remains uncorrected.

Go back to your opinions by all means. This was just a brief reality check for those who do not like to check sources.

- wolf
You would think someone who has done several tours would have known that.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
As I said I would have to go way out of my way, and that would be just random acts of violence at best a terror attack of opportunity as opposed to targeted strategic acts meant to invoke terror. Do you not understand what the KKK actually did?
The Latin v Black wars in this country kill way more than any KKK violence. MS13 is a slowly spreading poison....

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Eh.... you have to figure, the drone operations are actually secret. They're typically treated as if they don't exist. I knew nothing about them on my last tour. This time I just so happen to be near their home base, and occasionally get some help from them.

Fake\inaccurate\made-up numbers are going to be a problem with a program shrouded in secrecy.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
Heh I know that the problem is being amplified, even taking his numbers into account we are creating more terrorists than we are killing and the numbers since 2003 back this up.

I'm sure most here who support this effort won't blame anyone but themselves later on. /sarcasm

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Heh I know that the problem is being amplified, even taking his numbers into account we are creating more terrorists than we are killing and the numbers since 2003 back this up.

I'm sure most here who support this effort won't blame anyone but themselves later on. /sarcasm
Nebor pointed something out I touched on and that's the nature of the ops isn't known. I agree we shouldn't use "oh look I think thats a terrorist, lets attack" as the trigger. I don't know anyone in the loop and they wouldn't tell and I wouldn't ask anyway, but target analysis is taken seriously and considering what burning a koran can do I find it hard to believe these strikes are not reserved for all but very serious concerns. If there were another 9/11 in the works and we took it out you'd never know. In any case think of the resources spent. These are highly valued assets. Were not looking at firing a round on the range. The use carries significant costs and collateral damage is one that all who are involved in the decision process are aware of.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

Take out the planners and leaders.

Money sponsors will have a harder time getting/working with the grunts.

Now if a sponsor goes under; so much the better.

Mouth pieces would be nice; but that could lead to a full fledged religious war.

Last edited:

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Taking out the leadership will remove the threat from the grunts.

They may hate our team; but have no easy way to reach.
That's true, but there is a balance of course. These means must be reserved for high threat potential targets. These guys are not infallible but the ones doing the work in determining what is what are very very sharp.

The part about creating more terrorists really doesn't apply to these type of strikes. That comes about by poor policy and global action. If one sets out to piss everyone off then they are going to be at least partially successful.

infoiltrator

Feb 9, 2011
The idea is always do the best you can with what you have.
Basically gangs, klan, and drug dealers operate under the freedoms of the US Constitution.
Surrender freedoms and they are easy to stop.
I have great sumpathy for anyone caught in a war zone.
Millions have refugeed out to starve to death.
Not right.
OTOH in an area where dancing or choice of music at a wedding can get you killed,

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The idea is always do the best you can with what you have.
Basically gangs, klan, and drug dealers operate under the freedoms of the US Constitution.
Surrender freedoms and they are easy to stop.
I have great sumpathy for anyone caught in a war zone.
Millions have refugeed out to starve to death.
Not right.
OTOH in an area where dancing or choice of music at a wedding can get you killed,

Is english your primary language?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS