US-backed council bars Arab media

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
http://english.aljazeera.net/Articles/News/ArabWorld/US-backed+council+bans+Arab+TV+stations.htm

Freedom of speech campaigners have condemned US-appointed authorities in Iraq for banning television stations Aljazeera and al- Arabiya.

Iraq's Governing Council said on Tuesday the stations were prohibited from covering official activities in Iraq for two weeks.

It said the action was taken as a warning to broadcasters who incite anti-US violence.

How do they incite anti-US violence?

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: lozina
http://english.aljazeera.net/Articles/News/ArabWorld/US-backed+council+bans+Arab+TV+stations.htm

Freedom of speech campaigners have condemned US-appointed authorities in Iraq for banning television stations Aljazeera and al- Arabiya.

Iraq's Governing Council said on Tuesday the stations were prohibited from covering official activities in Iraq for two weeks.

It said the action was taken as a warning to broadcasters who incite anti-US violence.

How do they incite anti-US violence?

I think they are ticked because they interview guerillas...you know the typical guys with ski masks and AKM's. They feel that this is inciting further resistance. They also regulalry have such figures as Paul Bremer, Colin Powell, Condoleez Rice, on soooo take that for what it is worth.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Clearly all Iraq needs is FOXNews. I heard this morning that FOOXNews is the only news broadcast to the troops in Kuwait.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
Clearly all Iraq needs is FOXNews. I heard this morning that FOOXNews is the only news broadcast to the troops in Kuwait.

Sounds like something out of "1984"

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: dahunan

Give me a break. It is still better than the "free press" they had under Saddam. Whiney ass liberals.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: tnitsuj

Give me a break. It is still better than the "free press" they had under Saddam. Whiney ass liberals.

What is a liberal? Not me... anyhow..

I was mostly referring to the Fox News being the ONLY channel broadcast to the troops in Kuwait

How can you DENY that what he posted does not sound like part of the book "1984"?? Bigoted ASS Hardline Republibot

Dec 27, 2001
"Iraq's Governing Council said on Tuesday the stations were prohibited from covering official activities in Iraq for two weeks. "

Learn to read. Kthx.

Apparently the COUNCIL feels that "Aljazeera and al- Arabiya"--NOT THE ENTIRETY OF THE ARAB MEDIA, you freaking SPINSTER--are lacking in their journalistic integrity. Big whoop...what's it to you?

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
"Iraq's Governing Council said on Tuesday the stations were prohibited from covering official activities in Iraq for two weeks. "

Learn to read. Kthx.

Apparently the COUNCIL feels that "Aljazeera and al- Arabiya"--NOT THE ENTIRETY OF THE ARAB MEDIA, you freaking SPINSTER--are lacking in their journalistic integrity. Big whoop...what's it to you?

Al Jazeera and Al-Arabiya are pretty much the entirety of the Arab broadcast media, unless you count the respective state TV stations which are esentially the propaganda arms of thier governments=no one watches them.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001

Hmm... I think Fox News is biased and I refuse to watch them.

Does that make me a "whiney ass liberal"?

Oh, and I'm in the Army btw.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: datalink7

Yes you are. You have been brainwashed by years of exposure to the liberal media to not see the lies that they constantly spout. Thankfully, the Bush Administration is taking steps to see that the Iraqi people don't fall into that same trap.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Yes you are. You have been brainwashed by years of exposure to the liberal media to not see the lies that they constantly spout. Thankfully, the Bush Administration is taking steps to see that the Iraqi people don't fall into that same trap.
Uh.. you are supposed to use the Wink Emoticon to let everyone know you are joking.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001

Learn to read. Kthx.

The irony is, my only words were "How do they incite anti-US violence?". The rest, including the subject, were quoted from the source. So who needs to learn about reading, again?

Edit: Besides, is their headline false? Are they not arab media? That is just an adjective, which happens to describe them correctly. And who is this council to decide the integrity of journalists and censor what Iraqis are allowed to see?

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002

Nice to know you do not believe people are ALLOWED to think for themselves

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Now I'm not totally certain about the FOX business. But one of their correspondents/retired military contact in Kuwait said FOXNews was the sole news channel being viewed by the troops in Kuwait. He followed up that statement with, "keep up the good work."

The Puppet Regime in Iraq has a vested interest in suppressing media that does not present a best case scenario. There's nothing legitimate about the Iraqi Council particularly with their current leadership, Chalabi. Therefore, they must exert control over the press to stifle debate.

The notion that life is improving every day in Iraq is not the whole truth but it's good enough for the US administration (which has said it daily since May 1) and the Iraqi Council (that needs good news to create the aura of legitimacy). The truth of daily raids of Iraqi homes by US troops, minimal personal security particularly at night, unreliable water, unreliable power, persistent attacks on US troops/pipelines/powerlines, and the waning support for the cause in America will invariably provide support to those that oppose the US occupation.

To me that's not anti-American . . . it's anti-occupation.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003

Nice to know you do not believe people are ALLOWED to think for themselves

The Iraqis lost some of thier "free speech rights" when they forced the US to take the courageous step of invading and removing Saddam Hussein from power.

Dec 27, 2001

Learn to read. Kthx.

incite anti-US violence
Wow...look...I just quoted you. Is that not what you said? Why do you think people should incite anti-us violence? Are you anti-American?
Edit: Besides, is their headline false? Are they not arab media? That is just an adjective, which happens to describe them correctly.

Muslim blows up bus. I come here a post that Muslims blow up buses. How's that gonna fly?

And who is this council to decide the integrity of journalists and censor what Iraqis are allowed to see?

They're people who are attack by terrorist groups they feel are using these two channels as a propoganda. Who are you, some guy safe in America, to tell them what they should or shouldn't do?

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
Originally posted by: alchemize
I'm a little confused about where in the Iraqi constitution freedom of the press is guaranteed?

So you mean our invasion of Iraq was not to provide them with the freedoms that we take for granted? That these freedoms should not be protected by the puppet government that we "appointed"? Maybe we should have called it "Operation Iraqi Freedom but only when it suits us".
rolleye.gif

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
I'm a little confused about where in the Iraqi constitution freedom of the press is guaranteed?

We did go over there to spread Freedom and Democracy... didn't we?

I guess we should help them create an Islamic Democracy :D :D :p like the one in Iran?

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001

Learn to read. Kthx.

incite anti-US violence
Wow...look...I just quoted you. Is that not what you said? Why do you think people should incite anti-us violence? Are you anti-American?

Umm, what exactly are you trying to say here? I don't see your point or why you came up with this...

Edit: Besides, is their headline false? Are they not arab media? That is just an adjective, which happens to describe them correctly.

Muslim blows up bus. I come here a post that Muslims blow up buses. How's that gonna fly?

Sure, I don't see why not, unless of course he wasn't Muslim? You're point?

And who is this council to decide the integrity of journalists and censor what Iraqis are allowed to see?

They're people who are attack by terrorist groups they feel are using these two channels as a propoganda. Who are you, some guy safe in America, to tell them what they should or shouldn't do?
[/quote]

I'm observing the hypocricy in saying we're giving them freedom but then censoring what they see. Show me an Al Jazeera article which suggests the viewer should attack the us appointed council.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Al Jazerra definitely has a slant but look at Aljazeera and compare it to FOXNews. Is there any doubt that both of these "news" sources have POVs that color their delivery of the news?

Now look at CNN International . . . out of these three which one looks like it favors reporting the news versus commenting on the news?

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: LilBlinbBlahIce

So you mean our invasion of Iraq was not to provide them with the freedoms that we take for granted? That these freedoms should not be protected by the puppet government that we "appointed"? Maybe we should have called it "Operation Iraqi Freedom but only when it suits us".
rolleye.gif

Oh is that how it works? You just invade, slap a democracy in (oops slap a constitution in, then a democracy), and walk out? Do you have the cliff notes on that?

I'm sorry, but Iraq needs to learn to crawl, then walk, then run. Until then, they are an occupied country and what the army says, goes.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Originally posted by: LilBlinbBlahIce

rolleye.gif

Oh is that how it works? You just invade, slap a democracy in (oops slap a constitution in, then a democracy), and walk out? Do you have the cliff notes on that?

I'm sorry, but Iraq needs to learn to crawl, then walk, then run. Until then, they are an occupied country and what the army says, goes.

I agree with that for the most part. Democracy in Iraq must be taken one step at a time. You have to set up the right conditions for it to flourish before you go full force. But one thing I dont agree with in some of the previous comments is that we are restricting freedom of the press for all Iraqis. The ban is only from covering official business of the council and running of the country. It is only for TWO WEEKS. I believe they are just doing this to Aljazeera to get them to be a bit more cautious. They will be back to covering and broadcasting the news in Iraq in no time. If they continue to ban aljazeera, or explicitly censor what they report, then I'd be a bit worried about Iraqi press freedom. Access to news and media is better now than before the war. They now have access to bettermore reliable, and more sources of information even without aljazeera. This does merit concern, but it nothing to get up in arms about yet.