US Ambassador opposes troop increase in Afghanistan

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
You continue to act as though Afganistan was a real country with a functioning government etc.

We're just not gonna agree about this, to me it's never been anything other than some 'badlands' controlled by various tribes of diverse ethnicity. It's no more a country than Germany was back when inhabited by the barbarians that sacked Rome.

Fern
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have to admit Fern has somewhat of a point. But Afghanistan has a somewhat record of being fiercely independent, even when Rome was a nothing but a few mud huts, Alexander the Great tried and failed to conquer Afghanistan, the Brits tried in the 19'th century and failed, ibid the Russians in the 20'th century, and now we are the damn fools trying to do the impossible in the 21'st century.

But still the Afghan people can fence themselves in, but modern technology is inexorably coming, and its my belief, that its the very modernity is the tool we need to
defeat the Taliban. Our problem is that we try failed military solutions when winning involves the resources to bring modern technology in, which can create winning without firing a shot.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Are these the same idiot generals that believe Diversity is more important than the lives of the men and women that were killed at Ft Hood?

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
It was not technology that won the people over to our side in Iraq it was soldiers on the ground talking to the leaders building relationships. Technology helps, but if you dont work with local leaders face to face it is worthless.