(Urgent) New PC, powers off after 1 second.

joestat19

Oct 23, 2016
I recently took my inspiron 3847 parts, bought a couple new parts, and built my pc.
I used these from my two year old inspiron: i5-4460, 1TB western digital HDD, 16gb RAM
I bought these parts to improve the PC: Case, 400w PSU, Radeon rx 460, Gigabyte GA-H81M-D3V.

All the parts were compatible per pcpartpicker, and wattage was 120w more than the system needed.
After I completed the build, I turned it on, and the power LED lights up and the case fan spins for about 1 second, and everything shuts off. The i5 was in great shape, no damage. The only thing I may think is the problem is that there is an 8 pin "12v ATX" port unused on my mboard because the PSU came with a 4 pin. The 12 pin is plugged in, as well as everything else. I cleaned my heatsink from my previous inspiron and used it. The fan on the heatsink or the gpu does not turn on when I hit the power. Only the case fan. This pc build is in urgent need, so any knowledge or suggestions on what to do are appreciated. Thanks

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
See page 13 of the motherboard manual for how to connect the power supply. It says if the 12V line is not properly connected, then the computer will not start. Gigabyte also suggests at least a 500W power supply. You may also need to check that the mother board is not being grounded to the case in an area where it is not supposed to be. And be sure the CPU Fan is plugged into it's connector. You can get the manual here:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4668#manual

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
See page 13 of the motherboard manual for how to connect the power supply. It says if the 12V line is not properly connected, then the computer will not start. Gigabyte also suggests at least a 500W power supply. You may also need to check that the mother board is not being grounded to the case in an area where it is not supposed to be. And be sure the CPU Fan is plugged into it's connector. You can get the manual here:

+1

From the power supply, you should have connected the ATX 24-pin and the ATX 12v (2 x 4 pin).

Some motherboards will start if there is only one 12v 4-pin plugged in, but most (from my experience and from previous posts here) will not start without both 12v 2 x 4-pins plugged in. You didn't say what PSU you have, but you probably will need to buy a PSU that has the 2 x 4-pin 12v pins. Most power supplies from within the last 5 years should come with 2 x 4-pin 12v for the CPU (although some low-end units might not).

joestat19

Oct 23, 2016
Looks Like I will be returning the PSU, upgrading to one with a 2x4 12v connector and that is 500w. Thanks for the help. My psu doesnt have 2x4, only 1x4. How do I tell if the PSU I'm buying has 2x4?

joestat19

Oct 23, 2016

+1

From the power supply, you should have connected the ATX 24-pin and the ATX 12v (2 x 4 pin).

Some motherboards will start if there is only one 12v 4-pin plugged in, but most (from my experience and from previous posts here) will not start without both 12v 2 x 4-pins plugged in. You didn't say what PSU you have, but you probably will need to buy a PSU that has the 2 x 4-pin 12v pins. Most power supplies from within the last 5 years should come with 2 x 4-pin 12v for the CPU (although some low-end units might not).
Forgot to quote, question above. Thanks for the help.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Looks Like I will be returning the PSU, upgrading to one with a 2x4 12v connector and that is 500w. Thanks for the help. My psu doesnt have 2x4, only 1x4. How do I tell if the PSU I'm buying has 2x4?

If you go to the manufacturer's website, and look under detailed specs, it will say it there. What model are you looking at getting?

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
That should be fine. EVGA sells it for $44.95 .. Amazon price is not bad, especially if you get free shipping.