UPS has some stupid policies!

de8212

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2000
I am expecting a package Monday from UPS. They usually do not get to my house until around 7:00 PM. I tried to call the 800 # to get them to just leave the package at the local office and I'll just swing down there to pick it up early in the AM (I'm off work all next week). They tell me the package has to have one delivery attempt before they can do that.
What the heck is that all about. Is there someway I can get the # to my local UPS office instead of the 800#?

de

dude

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
Worse, if they try to deliver to ya house, and you never there, you can't call and say that you'll just go to the hub to pick it up. It must first be tried to be delivered at least 4 or 5 attempts before they can leave it in the hub so you can pick it up! Just stupid.

d33pt

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2001
well i told fedex to hold a package for me after they tried to deliver it... they said they'd hold it for 5 days but instead sent it off to the shipper only after 3 days.. and now they say i have to contact the shipper

Kevin

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
Originally posted by: dude
Worse, if they try to deliver to ya house, and you never there, you can't call and say that you'll just go to the hub to pick it up. It must first be <STRONG>tried</STRONG> to be delivered at least 4 or 5 attempts before they can leave it in the hub so you can pick it up! <STRONG>Just stupid.</STRONG>

Thats why you gotta be nice to your delivery guy so he'll leave it. FedEx will leave the package no questions asked since he's the regular. UPS has been having different drivers, so they don't always leave it. I asked one of them if he could just leave it behind the gate and he said he wasn't allowed. He did however give me around 20 notice of delivery slips and said "If you're expecting a package, just sign the back and we'll leave it where you want".

Ask your driver if he can give you a couple. Most shipments are probably going to be for online orders. So when you track it and it looks like its coming tomorrow, sign the slip and leave it on your door. This probably doesn't work if you're not friendly with your neighbors though...

vtqanh

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: de8212
I am expecting a package Monday from UPS. They usually do not get to my house until around 7:00 PM. I tried to call the 800 # to get them to just leave the package at the local office and I'll just swing down there to pick it up early in the AM (I'm off work all next week). They tell me the package has to have one delivery attempt before they can do that.
What the heck is that all about. Is there someway I can get the # to my local UPS office instead of the 800#?

de

Yep, that was the policy. However, i once talked to a really nice girl at that 800#, she actually did called my local UPS and asked them to hold for me if it was possible. Too bad half an hour later, my local UPS called me and said the truck left 2 hours ago, there wasn't anything they could do.

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
I actually work for UPS, and I too thought this policy to be odd. As I called the have a package held so i could pick it up when i went to work. They said we don't do that until they try delivery at least once. I thought, whatever and let it be. But it bothered me, so i talked to some people at work and they said if you call the actual hub it ends up at and give them the 1Z number they will hold it. They do do it for me, and they said they should for everyone, but don't shoot the messenger if they don't do this for you, since they seem to say one thing and then do another thing a lot of the time.

Jeomite

Jun 19, 2001
Originally posted by: amnesiac 2.0
That's the way it is with Fedex too.
Not much you can do about it.

With FedEx you can sign the waiver form and they will leave all future packages at your specified spot...
With UPS, in my own experience, they don't have no waiver... well that's what two different UPS delivery guys told me.. on different occassions... no offense to coolred, but I don't like UPS (they ones who work in my area...) :disgust:

de8212

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2000
if you call the actual hub it ends up at and give them the 1Z number they will hold it.

That's what I want to do but where can I find the # for the local office?

de

mcveigh

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2000
I ususally use fedex, they have been good to me about letting me call and pick it up. I guess it varies

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: dude
Worse, if they try to deliver to ya house, and you never there, you can't call and say that you'll just go to the hub to pick it up. It must first be <STRONG>tried</STRONG> to be delivered at least 4 or 5 attempts before they can leave it in the hub so you can pick it up! <STRONG>Just stupid.</STRONG>

It must be different where you live. I can, and have many times, pick it up after 1 delivery attempt.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Logistics.

In order to intercept the package to have it held, the package has to be at the right point in the process to do it. I would guess that the time that they do this is in the night when they unload the delivery trucks.

Have you ever seen the inside of a UPS delivery truck when it's fully loaded and ready to go out for deliveries ? If you have then you would see why it is not so easy to unload the truck to find your package and leave it at the hub.

Particularly when there is no time to do it.

Things that seem simple from your perspective are actually almost impossible.

de8212

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2000
Dead Parrot Sketch

I am sure there is more involved in the process than I am aware of. BUt I'd be willing to bet there is a very large truck that makes a delivery to the local hib. THey unload all of the items and scan them (ARRIVAL SCAN, according to the UPS website). Then they have to distribute the packages in a way that a particular truck will only have items to be delivered to a particular area (DEPARTURE SCAN).

At the point when the item is scanned for arrival it should flag the carrier to leave the package at the hub instead of putting it on a truck. Just my opinion.

Commen Sense.

de

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
By interrupting the process at the point you mention, you are interrupting a gigantic operation that handles way too much volume to be efficiently interrupted.(approx. 9 million per day)

By doing it at the end of the day, you are doing it as part of the relatively small number of packages that were not delivered.

de8212

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2000
By interrupting the process at the point you mention, you are interrupting a gigantic operation that handles way too much volume to be efficiently interrupted.(approx. 9 million per day)

We can put a man on the freakin moon but UPS can't hold my package at their local hub.

Thanks for playing. Have a good day.

de

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I've called my local hub's number to tell them to leave it for pickup at the customer counter. But it must be after the first delivery attempt... they'll keep it there at the hub starting the next day.