Uploading to two simultaneous hard drives

ELYeti

Aug 1, 2022
I have cloned external hard drives. One of course is my backup. My question is can I keep adding files and such but to both devices at the same time? I want to keep uploading my DVD and CD collection without having to drag and drop from source to backup.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
So just copy to both? I am not sure I understand your question.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Sounds like you might want a RAID 1 setup.

Edit: Further reading has convinced me that this a bad idea for the use case.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I would just do raid 1, but if you want a true backup (raid does not really replace needing backups) then just setup a rsync job to run nightly to mirror the drive to the backup one.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
If one is a backup then I'd keep it offline, disconnected, then when I plug it in, have RealTimeSync/FreeFileSync synchronize that drive to the other. Except instead of plugging, I have a hub with an on/off button.

RealTimeSync runs in the background and launches FreeFileSync when it detects the drive, scans for differences and copies over the files.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
can you RAID external drives? I mean single drives, not in an external enclosure like a NAS.
You can but the general consensus is that it is a bad idea for a variety of reasons so I withdraw the idea.

I use Microsoft's free SyncToy program for what the OP is doing. It still has to be run manually but it looks for changes so the user doesn't have to remember which files are new or changed. Is offers three different copying modes for uni-directional or bidirectional copying.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
I have cloned external hard drives. One of course is my backup. My question is can I keep adding files and such but to both devices at the same time? I want to keep uploading my DVD and CD collection without having to drag and drop from source to backup.

You can push to multiple systems/hard drives with a simple copy/paste through your network.
I copy all my new movies to both my EMBY server, and an external hard drive all the time.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ I suspect that was exactly what was wished to be avoided, including keeping track of which things that would (vs wouldn't) need to be copied over to the other. I might be misunderstanding what you mean.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
You can but the general consensus is that it is a bad idea for a variety of reasons so I withdraw the idea.

I use Microsoft's free SyncToy program for what the OP is doing. It still has to be run manually but it looks for changes so the user doesn't have to remember which files are new or changed. Is offers three different copying modes for uni-directional or bidirectional copying.
Sync Toy is a great tool for backing up files. It's not real-time, but it can be scheduled (see Sync Toy Help files) to back up files however often you choose. Only backs up new or changed files, renames files that have been renamed, and deletes (moves to recycle bin) deleted files.

And free, no nag-ware, no limitations.

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
There are programs that do a synch every time a file is created or changed. Not sure if there is a free one, but I am not aware of one that does simultaneous writes. Typically, the programs use an algorithm to ensure that the file is synced without error. That can't occur during the write process. I can imagine something like a modern SAN can do something like this, but that is an entirely different level of technology.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
It's media content so worm duty, copy and paste each tome he adds new media files is fine.