Upgrading Windows 8.1 Tablets to Windows 10 question

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Hi Folks,

I have an HP ElitePad 1000 G2. See the details in my sig.

It has Windows 8.1 x64 and I'm bring prompted to upgrade to Win 10.

Couple of questions:

If I reset the device after installing Win 10 (using the recovery built in the storgage), does it revert back to Win 8.1?

I've never thought about how this process works with a tablet.

Doublejr

Jul 25, 2004
When I did the upgrade on my tablet, not the same as yours. (Asus vivo tab) The recovery partition was removed and added more space to the hard drive. I am not sure if your tablet uses the compressed windows 8.1 image (wimboot) or not, my tablet only has 32GB storage. Windows 10 does not use wimboot anymore from what I gather.

So at least in my case the recovery was nuked, not sure if you rolled back what would happen I did not test, but in my case I think it would be a windows 10 reset. Hopefully this makes sense, I have only had 1/2 my coffee.

edit: I did not use windows update, I used this to upgrade https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Last edited:

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
When I did the upgrade on my tablet, not the same as yours. (Asus vivo tab) The recovery partition was removed and added more space to the hard drive. I am not sure if your tablet uses the compressed windows 8.1 image (wimboot) or not, my tablet only has 32GB storage. Windows 10 does not use wimboot anymore from what I gather.

So at least in my case the recovery was nuked, not sure if you rolled back what would happen I did not test, but in my case I think it would be a windows 10 reset. Hopefully this makes sense, I have only had 1/2 my coffee.

edit: I did not use windows update, I used this to upgrade https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Thanks for the info.

I need to check mine but I'm pretty sure I've got a recovery for Win 8.1 on mine. (Left it home).

I have 128GB of space, 4GB ram and a x64 Copy of Windows 8.1 Pro on my HP tablet, so I'm not sure it's the same. Most of these Win 8.1 Tablets only have x86 copy of windows and 2GB of ram.

There isn't much info out there about upgrading these Windows Tablets to Windows 10 and what will happen if you do so.....

Oct 7, 2018
Thanks for the info.

I need to check mine but I'm pretty sure I've got a recovery for Win 8.1 on mine. (Left it home).

I have 128GB of space, 4GB ram and a x64 Copy of Windows 8.1 Pro on my HP tablet, so I'm not sure it's the same. Most of these Win 8.1 Tablets only have x86 copy of windows and 2GB of ram.

There isn't much info out there about upgrading these Windows Tablets to Windows 10 and what will happen if you do so.....

Friend, will you still have the elitepad recovery? I have looked for an image of the windows with which the equipment is manufactured but it is almost impossible to find it. You would save my life if you still had it.

Greetings and thank you.